Law School Discussion

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?

Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« on: January 17, 2006, 06:29:18 PM »
Just got the letter in the mail today (nearly flipped until I realized it wasn't a rejection).  I am clearly not an auto-admit and I'm certainly glad to still be in the running, but what does this mean for my chances of getting in? 

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.8ish

Sorry to ask, but I can't seem to get a consensus from past topics as to whether this is strongly negative, slightly negative, or just neutral. 

wunder

• View Profile
Re: Held at Harvard: What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »
I don't know but I have to ask -- did you get an interview before you got the hold letter?

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »
I would say you still have a strong shot.  What exactly did the letter say?  I know TS mentioned in his blog that your status would be explained in the letter.  Also, did you have the phone interview with him?

You definitely have strong numbers.  Can you submit additional info?  LOR?  Etc?

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »
No phone interview (although it's not too late Toby!)

The letter just says they want to put off a decision until more of the applicant pool has been considered.  It also says a hold provides "no historical predictive value on individual applications". 

I am hoping this just means I am borderline, which I already knew.  But looking at LSN from last year, chances don't seem to be as good for deferrals (which I am assuming this is).

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
Perhaps the killer lsat scale for December, the rest of the applicant pool will not be as impressive as hoped for.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:46:30 PM »
Perhaps the killer lsat scale for December, the rest of the applicant pool will not be as impressive as hoped for.

seems likely

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:49:02 PM »
  Can you submit additional info?  LOR?  Etc?

Sorry, missed this on my first read.  It does invite to send in supplemental material (LORs, updated transcrips, and a Why Harvard? essay are mentioned specifically.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
  Can you submit additional info?  LOR?  Etc?

Sorry, missed this on my first read.  It does invite to send in supplemental material (LORs, updated transcrips, and a Why Harvard? essay are mentioned specifically.

Are you going to send in anything? It seems like a good idea.  You can mention how you would much rather go to a huge megalopolis of a school than a tiny hamlet. 

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 07:00:31 PM »
Yeah, I am definitely going to get some LORs from my job (been working 1.5 yrs since school) and probably a Why Harvard (since I would prefer to go there for family reasons).

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »
Yeah, I am definitely going to get some LORs from my job (been working 1.5 yrs since school) and probably a Why Harvard (since I would prefer to go there for family reasons).

Sounds like a good plan. I see a phone call in your future!