Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is this a good ps topic?  (Read 1656 times)

miamigrl

is this a good ps topic?
« on: July 21, 2004, 12:51:16 AM »
hey all, I just wanted to get some feedback about this topic for a PS...My brother was assaulted by three guys w/ baseball bats and was in a coma for a week. He miraculously came out of the coma and has almost fully recovered (it is now 3 years later) As a result of the incident I decided to work at the sherrifs office near my college and counsel crime victims through their experiences. I went to court with victims, called them up to see how they were doing, and helped them get victims compensation, restraining orders etc.
Let me know what you think... Thanks!

jgomez

Re: is this a good ps topic?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 12:58:05 AM »
Yea, I think it's good...Don't forget to focus on how and why it has led you to chose law school, and how you will use your JD towards helping protecting these victims or prosecuting the bad guys.

Ginatio

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:59:05 AM »
Yea, I think it's good...Don't forget to focus on how and why it has led you to chose law school, and how you will use your JD towards helping protecting these victims or prosecuting the bad guys.

... plus, how the skills you've gained will help you in law school

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 01:20:20 AM »
That topic is gold.  Make sure not to make it to sappy, as it has a lot of potential to go this way.

miamigrl

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »
thanks for the good advice...and best of luck to everyone writing!  :)

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
edit
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 11:42:55 AM »
edit

JiggityJig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 12:36:57 PM »
That's a fantastic basis for your PS (and great work you're doing)!  The only thing I would add is to make sure that you focus on yourself and how this experience has affected you and your desire to study law rather than focusing too much on your brother and individual cases -- that seems to be the one pitfall the books point out with people who write about public service activities (which I suspect is natural, given that the sort of people who do them tend not to be "me, me, me" types).

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 12:49:49 PM »
yeah, i agree with jiggidy.  this is a great topic to show how you've matured as a person and how this maturity has given you the desire to attend law school.  you could def be onto something good.  and judging by your looks, i'd have to say you're pretty cute ;)

miamigrl

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 04:06:51 PM »
wow, you all are so helpful! this whole process is just really stressful (as you all know) so every little thing makes it easier...

oh and thanks for the confidence booster braves fan. haha. btw dave chapelle is sooooo great.  :)

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 10:37:14 PM »
yeah dave chapelle is the man!