Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can LOR's from difficult attorneys hurt you.  (Read 2437 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Can LOR's from difficult attorneys hurt you.
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:52:20 PM »
I am gettting three LOR's.  One will be from a Prof, one will be from an employer, and one will be with a lawyer who handled a case for me, and we still remain friends.

I just asked the lawyer today if he would do one, and he said "yes, but don't tell tell me what to write.  I am a lawyer, I know what's best."  Anybody have this experience?

Also, since the prof's and empoyers don't really know what to write, should I write the LOR and just have them transcribe it onto the form?  If I did write these, can anyone point me to a good source that shows what a good LOR from a Prof, and an employer should contain?

Thanks1!!
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Can LOR's from difficult attorneys hurt you.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 08:51:39 AM »

Also, since the prof's and empoyers don't really know what to write, should I write the LOR and just have them transcribe it onto the form?  If I did write these, can anyone point me to a good source that shows what a good LOR from a Prof, and an employer should contain?

It seems odd to me that they don't konw what to write.  Hasn't anyone asked them to write a rec before??

Anyways, unless they've specifically asked you to write a draft, I would suggest giving them a little biography of your self, with your background, traits you feel would be relevant for them to write about, things like that, along with an actual resume and possibly a transcript.  If they do suggest a draft, I would think about what you would ideally want in a rec from them, and try to write it out as if you were recommending a stranger, not yourself (I had a tough time doing this for me).  Then have one or two close friends or family read it over and give you opinions.  When you give this to the recommender, they'll most likely change what they want, make sure it only contains things they're comfortable saying, and add in a blurb about how they know you and your relationship with them.

Of the three recommenders I have, one prof asked for a draft, the other prof and an attorney I work under didn't.  Recommenders that ask for drafts seem to be the minority.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 09:02:19 AM »
Why would the attorney say that to you?  I got three LOR.  The idea that I might tell them what to write never came up, especially not from my lawyer who wrote one of the LOR.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 05:09:25 PM »
Why would the attorney say that to you?  I got three LOR.  The idea that I might tell them what to write never came up, especially not from my lawyer who wrote one of the LOR.

I would assume he has done LOR's for other students who tried to do draft for him, and he might have been insulted.  That would be my own guess. 

Regarding the profs, yeah, I don't know if they have written rec's before, if thsy have, they probably written rec's for somebody who has borderline grades, and needs a good rec from a prof for grad school..  The one prof I have in mind might be offended if I give him a draft, I think Jacy is right though, I'll wait until he asks for one, so I don't "insult him'  He is a bit
arrogant, and unpredictable.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 05:56:33 PM »
are you all on crack?  :o :o :o

you don't draft a letter of rec for yourself.

that is the ultimate in poor form. supporting materials, yes-- resume, writing sample, note about what you hope the person can highlight in her or his rec, sure.

a DRAFT? oy...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 06:02:06 PM »
Not true.  I had a professor ask me to draft one out.  I gave it to him, he changed stuff, reworded stuff, and made it his out, but he used my shell.

are you all on crack?  :o :o :o

you don't draft a letter of rec for yourself.

that is the ultimate in poor form. supporting materials, yes-- resume, writing sample, note about what you hope the person can highlight in her or his rec, sure.

a DRAFT? oy...

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 06:24:37 PM »
Not sure if you will find this relevant, but I needed a major letter from my doctor to appeal a grade in College, and he just said, "go ahead and write it, I'll sign it."

My brother needed LOR's for his master's and PhD program.  He said he wrote them all.  The professor just signed.  Maybe law school is a totally differnet "thang"

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 06:25:56 PM »
I forgot.  I am on Crack and am running low. Gotto go. 

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 08:00:37 PM »
i guess it is i who am on crack. for his PhD program? so troubling... & so dishonest, don't you think

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:51:26 PM »
i guess it is i who am on crack. for his PhD program? so troubling... & so dishonest, don't you think

I don't think its dishonest if the recommender actually reads the rec, and agrees to it.
I assume that was the case when I wrote the letter to my doctor in the prior post. 
Also, my brother was kinda the brains in our family, and the prof's were a little intimidated by his "intelligence" (He knew more than the profs in a lot of areas).  SOB got a PhD in genetics!  A freaking scientist.  Oh well, I didn't get the brains, just the good looks in the family  ;D