Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergraduate in Forensic Science.. then go to Law School  (Read 3471 times)

MichaelBarker

• View Profile
    • Email
Undergraduate in Forensic Science.. then go to Law School
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:12:50 PM »
I am interested in getting a degree in Forensic Sciences, and then going to law school after undergraduate education.  Does a degree in Forensic Science sounds like a good idea?  I'm interested in Criminal law.  I think it would give me heads up as to help represent clients.

Anti_Ivy

Re: Undergraduate in Forensic Science.. then go to Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 10:08:54 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Texas Tech is the only school that offers Forensic Science as a major.  So, if you wanted a degree in Forensic Science, you'd have to go to TTU.  I think you ought to look at the schools you're interested in and see what majors each has to offer.

Law school adcoms don't really care what you major in (as long as you do well), but they tend to frown upon majors in the performing arts, criminal justice, and photojournalism.

Also, I don't believe that one's major can really help her/his ability to practice in a certain field of law.  Granted, a degree in Accounting will be of some benefit for Tax Law; Economics/Business for Corporate Law; and Engineering for IP.  However, law school will teach you plenty about Criminal Law; you don't need to try to 'specialize' now.  Most people don't know what they want to 'specialize' in when they begin law school/college, and those that think they do tend to change their minds.

If you want to major in Forensic Science because you actually enjoy it (or because you like CSI?), then go for it.  But donít major in it just because you think it will:

- help you get into law school {because it wonít help or hinder}
 - help you prepare for law school {because, again, it wonít help or hinder}
 - be good prep for the practice of criminal law {because you might change your interests, and even it you donít: it wonít help or hinder}

coopermini

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Undergraduate in Forensic Science.. then go to Law School
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 02:06:26 PM »
Im well on my way to getting a degree in Forensic Science....and then its law school....