Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances???  (Read 533 times)

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What are my chances???
« on: January 17, 2006, 02:22:19 AM »
I have a 3.91 GPA and scored an average of 168 on the LSAT (163 in OCt and 172 in Dec).  I wrote an addendum explaining the reason for the divergent LSAT scores (my wife was plowed by a Honda CRV three weeks prior to the Oct LSAT...while walking down the sidewalk!!!).  I am in my early thirties, have prior military service, and worked an average of 30 hours a week during the last three years of undergraduate (this was in addition to a ninety minute round trip commute each day).  I also have my MS in Teacher Education.  The bad news is that my ECs are fairly weak, mainly due to the hours I worked as an undergrad.  I have applied to the following schools:

Harvard
Virginia
Michigan
Duke
Vanderbilt
UNC - Chapel Hill
Washington & Lee
Wake Forest

I am concerned that I need to apply to more schools.  I am considering Emory, Georgia, and Tennessee.  What are my chances at the 8 I have applied to?  Should I consider adding a safety school or two?  Thanks for any replies.

Best Regards,

AllThatJazz
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances???
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:46:11 AM »
I have a 3.91 GPA and scored an average of 168 on the LSAT (163 in OCt and 172 in Dec).  I wrote an addendum explaining the reason for the divergent LSAT scores (my wife was plowed by a Honda CRV three weeks prior to the Oct LSAT...while walking down the sidewalk!!!).  I am in my early thirties, have prior military service, and worked an average of 30 hours a week during the last three years of undergraduate (this was in addition to a ninety minute round trip commute each day).  I also have my MS in Teacher Education.  The bad news is that my ECs are fairly week, mainly due to the hours I worked as an undergrad.  I have applied to the following schools:

Harvard
Virginia
Michigan
Duke
Vanderbilt
UNC - Chapel Hill
Washington & Lee
Wake Forest

I am concerned that I need to apply to more schools.  I am considering Emory, Georgia, and Tennessee.  What are my chances at the 8 I have applied to?  Should I consider adding a safety school or two?  Thanks for any replies.

Best Regards,

AllThatJazz

I think you'll be set for all but Harvard and maybe Michigan/UVA (unless, of course, you're instate - though you have a good shot at them regardless).  I don't think you need to apply to any other schools, bc you should expect to get into WF, W&L, UNC (tricky though due to in-state quotas), Vandy, and quite possibly Duke as well.  Well, that's my take on it at least.  check out http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html and http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ for more on odds, etc.  Also, try using the LSAC odds-meter at: http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString=

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 03:40:12 AM »
I feel you'll get in to 6 of the 8, if not one more. Good luck.
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

allthatjazz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I feel a little better about my list now.  Still, I may go ahead and apply to UGA since I want to work in the south and that is my wife's almamater.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?

UVa class of 09.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »
I have a 3.91 GPA and scored an average of 168 on the LSAT (163 in OCt and 172 in Dec).  I wrote an addendum explaining the reason for the divergent LSAT scores (my wife was plowed by a Honda CRV three weeks prior to the Oct LSAT...while walking down the sidewalk!!!).  I am in my early thirties, have prior military service, and worked an average of 30 hours a week during the last three years of undergraduate (this was in addition to a ninety minute round trip commute each day).  I also have my MS in Teacher Education.  The bad news is that my ECs are fairly weak, mainly due to the hours I worked as an undergrad.  I have applied to the following schools:

Harvard
Virginia
Michigan
Duke
Vanderbilt
UNC - Chapel Hill
Washington & Lee
Wake Forest

Best Regards,

AllThatJazz

i have a 168 lsat (but one-time, not multiple) and a 3.96 gpa; i have some soft factors but i think you're way ahead of me there. i've already gotten into duke, michigan, and vanderbilt (still waiting on virginia). anyway, i think that you will get into 6 or 7 out of the 8. good luck!

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 02:56:18 PM »
You've nothing to worry about. You're probably in at Northwestern, too, if you want to go there.

That said, I never want to see you asking where you'll get in with those numbers again. Enjoy the T14 and your illustrious career, wherever it may take you.

Oh, and sorry about the wifey. Hope she's OK.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06