Law School Discussion

1L Summer Work

Re: 1L Summer Work
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 09:36:38 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. My uncle is a lawyer in my area, partner in a small firm. I will talk to him,I am sure he can find something for me to do. I will go further into detail with him about this, but generally what type of work does a 1L do during the summer at any type of firm?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 09:47:22 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. My uncle is a lawyer in my area, partner in a small firm. I will talk to him,I am sure he can find something for me to do. I will go further into detail with him about this, but generally what type of work does a 1L do during the summer at any type of firm?

Pretty much the same thing that a 2L would do during the summer, a lot of legal research and writing memos.  Each firm structures its summer program differently, but typcially you are assigned to an associate or a partner who gives you a lot of small assignments and you may have one big assignment that you will work on all summer long.  They'll meet with you, go over your writing and citation, make corrections and suggestions to tighten you up, things you could do differently, etc.  But the good part is all the firm social events they will take you on, plus all the receptions that all the other firms in the area will throw that you will get invited to because you have a legal internship.  Its like your VIP pass to the insider's club.  This past summer was a regular 10-week party for those of us fortunate enough to be working.

midjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:54:13 PM »
Also remember that the sooner you send out your applications, the greater your chances at getting a clerkship before grades even come out. If you have a high undergrad GPA as well as strong ECs, some firms will hire you outright because they dont want to wait. Being in a top ranking school helps a lot, but the local market of  your law school is also a major boost (especially if there arent too many competiting schools in your area). I would imagine that getting a clerkship in DC would be hell since there are over 8 local schools to deal plus the Ivies.

I sent out over 60 applications (30 of which are large firms in Dallas that hire 1Ls, 15 small to midsized firms, and 15 in my hometown). Still waiting on the responses though.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:32:26 PM »
So during the summer after your first year of law school, what are the odds of finding a paying job at a firm over the summer, or are these competitive to only the "top" schools-I will most likely be attending a T2. If it is possible, what is they pay/hours/work like? Thanks.
Biglaw? Exceedingly small. Take a look through the NALP directory for proof of that. Even smaller if not T14 or not top 5 or 10%.

For small to mid-sized practioners? Your chances are better, but your pay will be less.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:17:55 AM »
(attempting to apply this to me)

But what if you come from a school such as HLS?  I mean, at the time we apply for these jobs, I'm assuming that we'll only have 1st semester grades (if even that), so what do they really go by?  I guess I have a pretty mediocre resume in that I have no law-related work experience, post-UG work experience, etc

you'll send resumes and cover letters in the first week on december, so there won't be any grades. Send them to all the firms at nalpdirectory.com in your home market that indicate that they will hire 1Ls, emphasize that you want to return there after law school. Go ahead and apply to all the firms in major other markets (NY, DC, etc) where you want to be over the summer as well. You'll probably get some interviews over break. Many people from harvard are hired without grades--if you send enough letters, you should be able to find something. Harvard students are at the top of their list for 1L associates. If you interview reasonably well, you'll probably get something. Most 1Ls at harvard who don't get a summer firm job didn't put in the effort required. Unlike 2L recruiting, you have to have some intiative

nubova

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 10:48:16 AM »

I have a 1L summer job at a large firm in Boston. It sent out a lot of resumes to all the big firms in boston and got 3 interviews. I dont have much work expereince, but I was offered two jobs. Its definitly not easy, but it wasn't too bad either. The pay is great, as you get paid a little less than a typical salary of a 2L summer. As far as what schools will igve you thsi opportunity, I would say go to a school that dominates its  market. My school (BC) does very well in its market, second only to Harvard, and that is probably one of the main reasons why I was able to get this position. I am sure it would have been easier had I gone to a school that has a TOTAL monopoly over its market as the only law school in the area, although I cant think of one now. While BC does very well in Boston, I am sure that HLS will grant its students the opportunity to work at almsot any firm they want. Probably most of the top 10 schools will give you an edge, but if you're outside of the top ten, you want a school that places extremely well in its market.

thats my take.

Mr Shears

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
I encouraged my dad to go back to law school when he was in his 40s and I in my teens still.  Fast forward nine or ten years and I have a 1L job waiting for me.  Hell, probably even a 2L and a post LS job if I wanted to.

Basically, what I'm saying is invent the time machine, go back in time dressed as your mother or father's ghost from the future, and scare them into going to law school.

The closer they get to needing a new pair of pants the better.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »
I will agree that HLS 1Ls should be able to find a job paying market rate, but it requires applying broadly and smartly.  a lot will find jobs in their home state.  I was working the diversity angle and wasn't interested in being in TX, so I applied mainly to DC and NY (DC is incredibly difficult to get since so few firms hire any 1Ls).  I got one job offer before any mention of grades (UG or LS) was made. 

OCS will give you a good amount of information about the process, and upperclassmen are willing to give pointers.  also, niche communities (science backrounds, LGBT, people of color) generally keep good information on applying with that in mind (for Lambda, we had a dinner with the upperclassmen where they shared their experiences and answered questions).