Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Straight White Guy in SF.....I"m a minority!!  (Read 6428 times)

LongShot

• I'm Tired' all this jibba jabba
    • View Profile
    • Email
Straight White Guy in SF.....I"m a minority!!
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:46:21 PM »
Do you think I could apply as a minority.  Doesn't minority mean less than 50%???  If that's the case, surely a straight white guy would qualify in this town.  Why not???? 

LongShot

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straight White Guy in SF.....I"m a minority!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:53:30 PM »
you laugh, have you ever been to San Francisco????   Daly City which borders the southern edge of town, has more foreign born inhabitants than not.  That is, less people that live there were born on US soil than were not.  This really is a place where white people are a mathematical minority.  I don't think our society is ready for this concept, even though it true.

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »
Do you get treated like a "minority"? i.e. discrimination in housing, job and education?

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 12:04:23 PM »
It actually bothers me a little, when people who haven't experienced any type discrimination or hardship in their life and want to take advantage of minority status. Many of those who are URMs had grandparents or great grandparent who were slaves or laborers in the fields and they've come from that to go to college and apply to law school. They deserve to have minority status and to be given special consideration because of what they had to overcome to go to college and apply to law school.

So it is disappointing to hear/see people who haven't had to go through the same kind of economic/social struggles trying to take advantage of URM status.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 12:33:19 PM »
It actually bothers me a little, when people who haven't experienced any type discrimination or hardship in their life and want to take advantage of minority status. Many of those who are URMs had grandparents or great grandparent who were slaves or laborers in the fields and they've come from that to go to college and apply to law school. They deserve to have minority status and to be given special consideration because of what they had to overcome to go to college and apply to law school.

So it is disappointing to hear/see people who haven't had to go through the same kind of economic/social struggles trying to take advantage of URM status.

True.  However, I'm a white, 29 yr old male, and I'm one generation removed from dirt poor, serf-like farmers.  I have worked my butt off to overcome physical and mental illness--personally and within my immediate family.  My cum GPA seriously suffered as my dad died when I was in my Freshman year of school.  Now, not only do I have no special consideration, but most law schools want to take into account my widowed mother's meager savings and income to determine my need if and when I do get in?

My issue is that I wholeheartedly agree with nearly all forms of AA, but I'm concerned when the only objective consideration for inclusion is race and whether one's parents attended college.

I don't know if the initial poster was just trying to kick up dirt, but I do believe there factors much more important than race alone in determining whether or not someone should be given a boost.  There are white men in this country who have not had it all handed to them and who have overcome serious adversity.

I definitely agree. And in a case like yours, while you are not given the benefits of URM status, law schools recognize the hardships that you have overcome and I think they do give you special consideration, especially if you highlight this information in your PS. Most PS ask applicants to discuss any "religious or cultural disadvantage, personal adversity or other social hardships" so they can take that into account when making an admissions decision.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 12:38:24 PM »

True.  However, I'm a white, 29 yr old male, and I'm one generation removed from dirt poor, serf-like farmers.  I have worked my butt off to overcome physical and mental illness--personally and within my immediate family.  My cum GPA seriously suffered as my dad died when I was in my Freshman year of school.  Now, not only do I have no special consideration, but most law schools want to take into account my widowed mother's meager savings and income to determine my need if and when I do get in?

My issue is that I wholeheartedly agree with nearly all forms of AA, but I'm concerned when the only objective consideration for inclusion is race and whether one's parents attended college.

I don't know if the initial poster was just trying to kick up dirt, but I do believe there factors much more important than race alone in determining whether or not someone should be given a boost.  There are white men in this country who have not had it all handed to them and who have overcome serious adversity.

I definitely agree. And in a case like yours, while you are not given the benefits of URM status, law schools recognize the hardships that you have overcome and I think they do give you special consideration, especially if you highlight this information in your PS. Most PS ask applicants to discuss any "religious or cultural disadvantage, personal adversity or other social hardships" so they can take that into account when making an admissions decision.

And I did highlight those issues, but what's it gonna get me?  Maybe .1 on the GPA and/or 2 pts. on the LSAT?  The status of URM adds significant weight to an app; a PS usually does not.  Guess that's why I applied to to so many schools.  My sitch is even more of a crap shoot than it is for most, I think.  I am positive, though.  Somebody will take me, and somebody will provide sufficient ducats for me to complete my JD.

LongShot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 02:52:26 PM »
Do I get treated like a minority???  Here, yes.  Being a straight white male has definitely hurt me in job searches, apartment hunting, and especially trying to get financial aid or scholarships.  I had a 3.7. gpa in the local Jc.  and could not find one scholarship or grant that I was even eligible to apply for.  I spent 2 hours in the scholarship office and never found one that did not offer preferential treatment to women, people of color, or specific sexual identity.  I know this isn't the norm across the country, but it's happening here.  A white guy who worked at SFO sued the airport for being passed over for promotion because of his color, and WON.  These stories don't make the news because they don't fit into the neat little category of :white guy bad :everyone else good.  I have suffered personal hardships that would rank with the top.  Stuff I can't put in a ps because it involves mental illness and drug addiction (related).  So on the outside I appear to be "priviliged", but I doubt that most people would trade places with me.  Shortly before the LSAT my best friend died of a heroin overdose.  He was 25.  Unlike me, he decided to start using drugs again.  Now he's gone.  So just becasue someone's white, doesn't mean they haven't been through some *&^%.  Just because you're not white doesn't give you the right to discriminate against me!!  Isnt' that what we're trying to get away from here.  Or is OK to be a racist as long as you're not white???

La Raza===The Race

What if a groiup of white people went around calling themselves "the race"??????

So it's ok to  re-enact the work of the KKK as long as you're brown......see you in court!!! 

redemption

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 03:04:21 PM »
Do I get treated like a minority???  Here, yes.  Being a straight white male has definitely hurt me in job searches, apartment hunting, and especially trying to get financial aid or scholarships.  I had a 3.7. gpa in the local Jc.  and could not find one scholarship or grant that I was even eligible to apply for.  I spent 2 hours in the scholarship office and never found one that did not offer preferential treatment to women, people of color, or specific sexual identity.  I know this isn't the norm across the country, but it's happening here.  A white guy who worked at SFO sued the airport for being passed over for promotion because of his color, and WON.  These stories don't make the news because they don't fit into the neat little category of :white guy bad :everyone else good.  I have suffered personal hardships that would rank with the top.  Stuff I can't put in a ps because it involves mental illness and drug addiction (related).  So on the outside I appear to be "priviliged", but I doubt that most people would trade places with me.  Shortly before the LSAT my best friend died of a heroin overdose.  He was 25.  Unlike me, he decided to start using drugs again.  Now he's gone.  So just becasue someone's white, doesn't mean they haven't been through some sh*t.  Just because you're not white doesn't give you the right to discriminate against me!!  Isnt' that what we're trying to get away from here.  Or is OK to be a racist as long as you're not white???

La Raza===The Race

What if a groiup of white people went around calling themselves "the race"??????

So it's ok to  re-enact the work of the KKK as long as you're brown......see you in court!!! 

1. Why can't you put it in the PS? I would, if I had a GPA and other things to explain away

2. You're slipping back and forth in your anecdotes between race, gender, sexual preference categories in your compaints about how the world is treating you unfairly.... but your conclusion is about race alone. Why is that? (I think I know)

3. It did make the news

4. I suspect that it is your performance in the LSAT practice tests that is making you this angry - best to be honest about it, don't you think, rather than blaming others about issues tangential to your law school candidacy?

-best

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 01:38:10 AM »
Are straight white men URMs in the legal field? In law school? Umm, no.
Until there is a problem with white males being under represented in law, there aren't going to be a lot of efforts to lure them.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

LongShot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 03:20:35 AM »
good point dbgirl.  but do you notice mugatu's comment.  White people aren't a minority because they comprise 45%.

what's wrong with that statement?????