Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Straight White Guy in SF.....I"m a minority!!  (Read 6215 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Straight White Guy in SF.....I"m a minority!!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »
nicely done, mugatu. this post makes me all fiery hot with ANGER!

redemption

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »
Wild guess: he's frustrated at not having wrestled the LSAT to the ground yet, is worried about his prospects for admission to law schools he wants to attend, is looking for a scapegoat and has found it in AA. Nothing very original, nothing very interesting, nothing even for any of us to get particularly worked up about.

redemption

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »
I just pretend to know things. It annoys some people and amuses others.

redemption

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »
I just pretend to know things. It annoys some people and amuses others.

That's a very diplomatic/self-deprecating way to put things.  Perhaps you should be a politician?

Ha! I hope never to become a politician. I don't, strictly speaking, believe in democracy. That's why I think the law is for me: litigation is much more effective and clean than rounding up votes. Politics seems to me to be mostly a career that consists of backslapping, telefundraising and pretending to agree with (and like) people  who don't know what they're talking about (and that are not very nice).

It is lawyers, through, litigation that have achieved most of the most important rights that we enjoy. carrying on in that tradition would be fine by me.

technically i think straight white males are a plurality in SF.

As always, TITCR  ;)

LongShot

• I'm Tired' all this jibba jabba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 07:12:22 PM »
Mugatu,

when it comes down to getting a job, there are only 2 colors.

White & Non White.

So while you are all congatulatiing each other on your flawed reasoning, realize that there is only one group in this country that does not have one law on the books to protect them against discrimination.  You guessed it, white males. Every other group enjoys the protection of the law.

And, even if I were struggling with the lsat, that doesn't make me wrong.

Ask yourself.  Are you really interested in what's fair???  Or what's best for you???

redemption

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »
Me white also :)

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »
It actually bothers me a little, when people who haven't experienced any type discrimination or hardship in their life and want to take advantage of minority status. Many of those who are URMs had grandparents or great grandparent who were slaves or laborers in the fields and they've come from that to go to college and apply to law school. They deserve to have minority status and to be given special consideration because of what they had to overcome to go to college and apply to law school.

So it is disappointing to hear/see people who haven't had to go through the same kind of economic/social struggles trying to take advantage of URM status.

I am a "white minority" and def. know what you mean pinky.  Although I would also (possibly) qualify as a URM b/c I am part NA, I included a passage about growing up white in a predominately non-white area in my PS.  I experienced a lot of discrimination (racist slang in front of my teachers, threats of violence, actual violence, etc).  A friend who was an immgrant to the US would always joke how I deserved her UG URM boost b/c her family was well-off for generations and not experienced slavery, etc. and had always been financially well-off (whereas mine just got off the farms and to HS last generation).  The fact that I was denied adaquete eduation because my family couldn't afford it (and whites are kept out of the only afforadble, good public school on the island) and that I lost many opportunities because there is heavy discrimination against white students in my area I think serves as an example of the meaning behind "URM." Altough I look all-white, I obviously would bring more diversity to a student body than a white middle-class girl from CT or soemthing.

I think the point of my rambling was to second pink's well-put statement and to demonstrate that, yes, URMs come in all shapes and sizes, but the purpose of the boost is to give those who experienced life setbacks a chance.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Mr. Incredible

• lies, damn lies, and statistics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 07:38:08 PM »

God forbid that we are judged on merit.

LongShot

• I'm Tired' all this jibba jabba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 07:44:41 PM »
so, shouldn't minority status really be economic status??  Because like it or not this problem ultimately boils down to $$.  If I'm white, but grew up poor in East Oakland, and went to the bad schools there, AA/URM assumes that I lived with privilige. That would be direct discrimination of someone solely on the basis that they are white. That's not exactly fair.  There's no doubt that there is a wild discrepancy to the levels of education that are provided within the boundaries of this coutry.  I just don't think the answer is as easy as saying "if you're this color you get this...  if you're that color you get that....

But if AA/URM status were based on how much money your family had, or the quality of schooling in your area, things that really equate to opportunity, wouldn't that make more sense??

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 07:50:47 PM »
LongShot, that is my personal opinion, but I have a very unique upbringing in which I didn't understand AA at all because the "minority" kids were picking on me when I was young and given all the benefits I was denied.

From speaking with various people about the issue, I think it boils down to an underlying current of racism present at all phases and socioeconomic levels of the country based on very recent advancements to civil rights that haven't completely come to fruition.

Personally, I think a lot more emphasis should be placed on income, but I am biased in that respect.  While most of my monority friends (from school) were taking expensive SAT prep classes or at museums with doctor/lawyer parents, I was working extra hours at the local movie theater or being yelled at by my dad for not going to the local college (T4)...
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg