Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLEASE help! Toledo or Detroit Mercy?  (Read 1012 times)

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
PLEASE help! Toledo or Detroit Mercy?
« on: July 20, 2004, 08:57:18 PM »
I have been accepted at both and need my decision by this Friday. I live in MI and plan to practice in the Detroit Ann Arbor Area. It is a 1 hour drive to UD and a 40 min. drive to Toledo. There are no scholarships out there so there is nothing to help me in that vain. also, if i do well I would like to transfer to Michigan where I went to undergrad. I would like to get into a big Ann Arbor or Detroit firm for a few years then go into private practice. What are your opinions? Thank in advance!

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE help! Toledo or Detroit Mercy?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:08:36 AM »
Did you talk to any of the big firms/look at any of their websites to see where their associates are coming from?  I don't know how easy it is to transfer into UMich from either of those schools (I'm guessing you would have to totally blow away your first semester and be able to do some fast talking), but have you thought about transferring into Wayne State from either of those schools?  I know one decently large IP firm has several Wayne grads.  While Wayne fell out of the top 100, I think it is equivalent to Toledo, but has a good regional reputation.
3.8/155

mpete80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »
Thanks, I talked to a Adcomm member at UofM and she said that I must be in the top 10-15% in my class. If that happens I would have a goos shot at getting accepted based on UG and residency.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 02:15:34 PM »
Did you check web pages for firms by any chance?
3.8/155

mpete80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:46:07 PM »
well, it is kinds mixed. It looks like the UD lawyers are much older then the current Toledo Lawyers. I don't know what this means  but it was something I noticed.

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 09:40:33 PM »
I don't know anything about Detroit, but I think Toledo is a good school.  I was accepted there and had a hard time deciding between it and Stetson.  However, as conventional wisdom is to attend in the region where you want to practice (for me the Southeast), and the weather is better in FL, I decided on Stetson.  Note, however, that I still think that Toledo is the stronger school in many aspects.  The dean is very down to earth and the rankings are up and coming.  They are trying hard to establish a national reputation and have really great student/faculty ratios, small classes, and a personal touch.  The admissions staff was top notch there.  I e-mailed several alumni re: the school and received responses from most of them...indicating a good alumni network.  All I can tell you about UT and Michigan is that the dean said that the bar passage rate is higher in MI than in OH!

If you have any other questions I can answer, send me a PM.  I wish I could compare the two better for you.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 08:03:36 PM »
MPete-- so did you decide on Ave Maria???
3.8/155