Law School Discussion

REV. M.L. KING.....recognize!

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
REV. M.L. KING.....recognize!
« on: January 16, 2006, 12:10:22 AM »
RISE ABOVE. RISE ABOVE. RISE ABOVE.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today."

-rev.m.l.king

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
Re: REV. M.L. KING.....recognize!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:04:16 AM »
MLK....reppin Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.!!!!

Man, if he could see us now.  For references, SEE the Boondocks thread. ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 09:15:24 AM »
Now that he is safely dead, let us praise him
For dead men make such convenient heros
They do not rise up to challenge the image we fashion for them

Bluewarrior, Google "A time to break silence" and take it to heart.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:19:14 AM »

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:35:20 AM »
Here's the one people need to hear.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/politicalspeeches/mlkagainstvietnam1attgogo.mp3
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article2564.htm (this link seems to be working right now, while the first one might be overloaded)

Here's the one people have heard.

javascript://www.americanrhetoric.com/Streamingfiles/mlkihaveadream.htm

Here's the last speech he gave.
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkivebeentothemountaintop.htm

George JeffersonČ

• Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 10:00:43 AM »

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 12:33:21 PM »

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 02:16:09 PM »
Damn, that Sands is amazing!  Tight picture bro and I had no idea that Hosea was a Sigma.  And they say Black History month is only in February.  Hmmmph, lol.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 01:05:01 PM »
Now that he is safely dead, let us praise him
For dead men make such convenient heros
They do not rise up to challenge the image we fashion for them

Bluewarrior, Google "A time to break silence" and take it to heart.

well it is obvious that there is still a fathomless ocean to calm and many paths to travel when neighbors still maintain their struggles with each other.

"fences do not make good neighbors...understanding and trust makes great neighbors."

we are complex creatures...different and the same...that is the beauty of being wrapped in a human shell.

struggle with oneself...understanding and trusting oneself...is logically the letter "a"...the most difficult struggle.

accidents happen more often closer to one's home than farther away since in order to get farther away we always start from home base.

many variables outside of home base complicate the matter...but first one must start with oneself.

sometimes simplicity or a square root clarifies the most complex problems.

vedic priests taught..."the greatest one will ever learn  to love and be loved in return."

aye suspect that human's, fragile as we are, get caught up in the distance from ourselves to the creator instead of listening to our own hearts and trusting and understanding ourselves to struggle with respect for our neighbor's beautiful complexities and differences...

islam judaism buddhism christianism are not concrete.

one is not better nor worse than another...they are just different...and mysteriously the same.

it is when human application gets convaluted along the pathway when people struggle with each other.

aye think while some people understand this...they choose to turn away...and get lost in the vast ocean...

rev. king was an idealist...a man before a time which is not even here yet...king walked upright...eyes straight ahead...today...we are merely crawling...aye believe that today we live in an era overwhelmed by cognitive delusion...

today we live with ideas and realities of dictatorship and genocide...it is unfortunate but people still need to physically defend themselves...while words are powerful when the roof is caving in some support is still necessary...to a man of the future this is barbaric...but for those of us crawling through the present it is survival...so while some of our eyes are on a time where the color of a persons skin will be irrelevant...today we must recognize the labels...one day we will need no labels to know what is in the vessel...we will just know.

while one day people will realize that an individual's family is a country and their neighbors are brothers and sisters and cousins and valuable...today one patriarch of a family can murder their neighbor's children and no one will check them...today we struggle...one day we will live as king...and others have suggested...but until then..."our era is one of cognitive delusion".

personally aye get angry when people get caught up in semantics and spelling and righteousness and selfishness...aye will struggle back...it boils my blood...but aye know that coming back to my home base works...

there are lost souls walking around...and must be given directions.
but many are focusing on their path...and that gives me hope.

px.o.rsta

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 01:26:01 PM »
This is the perfect response to Dr. King because it says nothing, but claims to say something.  Therefore it looks like you responded, when really you didn't.

The only thing you said that comes close to a response can be summarized by saying that "Dr. King was an idealist and we shouldn't be."  To that, I disagree. 

Dr. King was a Christian, and he was a peacemaker.  He was absolutely committed to non-violence, 100%.  There was NO situation where he did not advocate a non-violent solution.  He condemned allowing one's blood to boil, even when that boiling blood had no outward manifestation.  The very idea of having a person as an enemy or an adversary or an opponent was antithetical to Dr. King's ideals, but not only his ideals, but also to his actions, his concrete reality, his accomplishments, his movement, his self.

Dr. King claimed that love was the most powerful force in the universe and that it had the power to "transform the jaingling discords of our world into a symphony of peace."  He was a dreamer, yes, but he saw many of his dreams come true.  Had we listened to him, the rest would have come true too.  But Dr. King's words aren't only applicable in the past, nor as you suggest, in the future, but are "frightningly relevant" to the present situation.  How are we ever to get to that "beloved community" or idealistic future if not by listening to and following his words.  Dismissing the medicine because we are still sick is silly, and dismissing Dr. King as a dreamer who's dreams don't apply to us, but only to some future utopia is an intellectually cowardly thing to do.

You must either stand by your war or stand by Dr. King.  Choose your side.  You cannot do both.  If you think you can, please explain that to me.  "Once to every man and nation comes a moment to decide in the strife of truth and falsehood for the good or evil side," and this is your moment to decide. (Parenthetically let me say, how can you think that Dr. King was only an idealist when the last five minutes of his speech were basically a pep talk?  He was trying totally to motivate people to immediate action.  He wasn't trying to give us a view of what the world could be like if only it weren't what it was, but instead he was compelling us to immediate action).  Pick sides.  Where do you stand?  With your war or with Dr. King?  You cannot have it both ways.  Like Robert Frost says, Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and knowing that I could not travel both and yet be one traveler....I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference.  You are trying to travel two roads that are headed in completly opposite directions.  It can't be done.  If you think it can, and you think I'm wrong to say it can't, then tell me how.  Be clear.  Give me an answer, or pick a side, or live the life of a hypocrite.