Law School Discussion

Villanova/Temple/Rutgers Camden

140am

• View Profile
Villanova/Temple/Rutgers Camden
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:39:25 PM »
I am sure I'm not the only person in the position of wanting to go to school in Philadelphia and lacking the numbers to get into Penn.  That then begs the question, how does one choose between Temple, Rutgers, and Villanova.

Temple is cheapest, followed by Rutgers and then Villanova.  At both RC and TU you can live in the city.  At Nova, living in the burbs might be better.

But beyond that, they are all ranked basically at the same spot (Nova 63, TU/RC 65) and seem to be in a virtual deadlock for 2nd in the market.

Anyone have any thoughts about this, or anyone debating the same question about how to choose/what to consider?

(fwiw, I'm in at Villanova and am still waiting to hear on TU and RC)

Re: Villanova/Temple/Rutgers Camden
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 11:26:08 PM »
Are you a PA resident? If so it would make sense to go to temple since its tuition is soo much cheaper then the other schools you mentioned, and the schools seem pretty similiar and course offerings. 

I don't know how familiar you are with the philly area, but Just to warn you temple is in north philly which is the worst part of philly, a pretty dangerous neck of the woods.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:24:15 AM »
Are you a PA resident? If so it would make sense to go to temple since its tuition is soo much cheaper then the other schools you mentioned, and the schools seem pretty similiar and course offerings. 

I don't know how familiar you are with the philly area, but Just to warn you temple is in north philly which is the worst part of philly, a pretty dangerous neck of the woods.

I am a PA resident, from justoutside the city.  I'm very familiar with all three schools.  I suppose I should qualify my question by saying, other than money, what factors separate the three schools?

Temple is my first choice on location (it's a subway stop), tuition, and study-abroad opportunities.  I was just curious what other factors are worth considering/distinguish the three schools.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »
I'm also curious about schools that place in Philadelphia. I know that Temple has one of the top legal writing programs in the country (USNWR #5), which may be a factor to consider. Temple has staffed the program with an unusually large amount of instructors, all in an effort to give personalized help. Since writing is such an important area for an attorney to do well, Temple may have an advantage over the other two schools.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
If you know what you want to specialize in(or have a rough idea), then look at the course offerings/specializaitions they offer.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 05:50:46 PM »
If you know what you want to specialize in(or have a rough idea), then look at the course offerings/specializaitions they offer.

I want to specialize in real estate transaction, as well as community development.  RE can be studied at any school and all three schools essentially have similar clinics in "social justice" where I'd get an opportunity, if admitted to the clinic, to work with non-profits to set up and close deals for development, help people seeking affordable housing/protecting their housing situations, etc.

The three schools really seem very similar, other than location and tuition, but I suspect the culture is quite different at each school.  I mean, I have a good idea from friends and family members, but I was just looking to find out if anyone knew anything additional based on anything maybe not shown on the web or anywhere else.