Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how much would you pay for an LSAT point?  (Read 2845 times)

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
how much would you pay for an LSAT point?
« on: July 20, 2004, 07:14:38 PM »
Seems like we haven't had one of these pointless hypothetical topics in a while, so here goes:

One of the LSAC techies gets tired of his $40,000K job and all the sudden decides to try his entrepreneurial hand (kind of like Green).  He's selling LSAT points, at the rock-bottom price of $1,000 a point.  If you buy any, how many do you buy?  If his prices went up, what's the highest you would pay him for a point?

Please don't respond with moral objections, or concerns about getting caught.

edit: ...or test prep company trolling.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how much would you pay for an LSAT point?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »
I'd probably go ahead and buy my 3 more points for up to $5000, but only as long as I'd get to say that I earned a 180.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »
2, but if the price went up then zero.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 07:20:38 PM »
2, but if the price went up then zero.

So you'd pay $2000 for 2 points, but not $2020 for 2?

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 07:22:17 PM »
i mean i didnt consider that the price might inflate in 10 cent increments

ok, 2200 for two would be my outside limit, and if it were more than that, zero  :P

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 07:27:16 PM »
i mean i didnt consider that the price might inflate in 10 cent increments

ok, 2200 for two would be my outside limit, and if it were more than that, zero  :P

Hey!  I used $10 increments!  Although I could have made the same jerk point with 10 cents.    ;D

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 07:28:45 PM »
I'd probably go ahead and buy my 3 more points for up to $5000, but only as long as I'd get to say that I earned a 180.

You earned the money that you bought the points with, so you earned the 180.  This rule doesn't apply to people with pre-bought-point scores of less than 175.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 07:29:28 PM »
I have absolutely zero scruples, so I would buy as many as I could, even if I had to resort to robbing a bank.  So who do I hook up with?  :D
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 07:29:37 PM »
Ooh, I like hypotheticals like this!

I'd take at least four, because then I'd be at my average diagnostic score.  Does it matter that I don't have $4K right now?  Could I borrow money from someone?  If I had a job right now, I'd probably take 6 points.  That could easily make a difference in where I go to school and what merit scholarships I get, so it could totally pay for itself in just a year (in the case of scholarships) or 4-5 years (if I got into a higher ranked school and as a result got a higher paying job after graduation).

Everything is an investment.  That's why it's okay to pay $1250 for a prep class.  :)

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/salary.htm
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dta

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 08:43:14 PM »
I'd buy 3 points for up to $5,000. I wouldn't buy anymore points than 3. 3 would be enough to give me a pretty good lock on UT and I don't have much desire to go to any higher ranked schools.