Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are your timing benchmarks used for pacing on the LR section?  (Read 367 times)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
I set my timer to 34 minutes (to allow for bubbling at the end and also to take account for any mistakes on the part of the proctor). My benchmarks are as follows:

24 mins left--done with 8
14 mins left--done with 16
4 minutes left--done with 24
final 4/5 minutes--do the tougher/longer questions and fill in any bubbles in case I can't finish section.

I find the ten minute increments is just the most convenient.

Also, when do you start bubbling in the questions you have not yet answered, in case the proctor calls time and you haven't approached all questions...?

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What are your timing benchmarks used for pacing on the LR section?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »
One minute per questions for at least the first third to half. 

Fidelio

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:27:18 PM »
Although there are many different strategies to apply on timing, I would work on improving overall understading of LR.  In that way it would increase your speed.  I think by putting yourself in timed constraints it may deter you from concentrating accordingly making you get some of the ones you should have gotten right, wrong. 

There is a post about this a few pages back, wherein Redemption gave some solid advice on this topic.  I don't exactly remember the name of the post though.   

WannabeLAW

• Sr. Citizen
  • Meow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:40:30 PM »
I concur with Fidello. I've noticed that speed improves with accuracy. As you realize what's happening with the LR section, you'll see some trends and in some cases, know what the question and answer should be from the given statements.

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 11:44:54 PM »
Yeah, I was just curious how people paced themselves, since it's a little less obvious in LR than in games/RC (8:30 or so per passage/game). I was wondering if people tried to go through the first 15 or so questions quicker and then allocate more time at the end.

The one section I am really aiming to improve is games...LR, hopefully, will continue to be my strongsuit (1 wrong on last preptest! :) )

NYmortgagepro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:48:18 AM »
fidelio how do you explain the 166?

worstapplicantever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 03:13:52 AM »
LR is my bag - usually miss 1-2 per section. for a typical section i work at a question per minute until around 15 minutes into the section, 25 minutes in i'm usually on the 19th or 20th question.

i don't know what it is about that 15-20 area that slows me down.
GPA: 3.75

neko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 09:32:04 AM »
I use a similar method to worst's.  The section progresses in difficulty, so it's good to give yourself a little cushion at the end.  Counting up, I try to finish the first 12 or 13 questions in 15 minutes, and complete question 20 by minute 25.  This is leaves me with enough time to devote 2 minutes each to the last 5 or 6.  I was only missing LR questions in the last 1/2 of the section until I gave myself more time at the end. 

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:22:18 AM »
The first 10 usually are the easiest, so I always try to finish them within 10 minutes. I try to get to number 20 by the 23rd minute. That leaves me with plenty of time for the final 5-7 questions, which are always the hardest for me. And it gives me a minute or two to review the hardest questions. If I'm even slightly unsure of a question, I place a big question mark next to it after choosing my answer. I use those final minutes to review the flagged questions, and whenever I change my answer, it ends up helping my score.
Georgetown

spud1987

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 01:43:39 PM »
I try and do one LR question a minute, I'm usually done with 8 minutes to go at which point I look over the ones that gave me trouble, it seems to work well for me.