Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Newer RCs are eating my lunch...  (Read 555 times)

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
Newer RCs are eating my lunch...
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:14:09 PM »
I just got done with the December 2004 practice LSAT (which I scored a 159 on) and that RC section ate my lunch.  As always, I got roughly half the logic games questions wrong (I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm just no good at these), but the next worst part I seem to have is the RC.  This was not the case with older tests.  RC is normally something I excel at in real life, especially when I'm not timed.  I got 8 wrong this time, which is the most I've ever gotten on RC before (3-5 used to be my norm).  What can I possibly due to get out of this RC rut in the next 3 weeks?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Newer RCs are eating my lunch...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »
The LSAT questions are hard because they're timed.  Everyone should be able to get a 165-172 without a time limit.  For the RC, your first reaction is going to be to rush through the reading and get to the questions.  Don't do this, spend more time on the reading then you are in the questions, and the questions shouldn't take more than 15 or 30 seconds as opposed to 1 minute or two because you're looking back. 

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »
I can definitively say that my ADHD is not helping here either.  I've considered asking my doctor for a month long prescription of ritalin to boost my concentration, but I won't for two reasons:
1) I hate being dependent on drugs to make enable me to think straight.
2) It's not fair to other test takers that I take what is considered a performance enhancing stimulant.

I will take your advice and start reading more carefully on these.  Even if I have to guess entirely on the last section I'd still likely score better than 8 wrong.

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

Ego

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »
Do more recent ones.  They get tougher.  I like you am good at rc.  I didn't really prepare for them.  I got pwned in October.  Now I have to retake.  And it pisses me off everyday.

Grr.  Anger.  Seeps.  Through.  My.  Posts.  Bitter.  Revenge.  Will.  Be.  Sweet.

zerofact0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »
If you have ADHD, then taking ritalin won't bring your levels of concentration up dramatically past that of someone without, at least that's what they say. 

Ego

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
Yeah.  I totally think you should up the Rx. 

Now.  So it takes hold by February.

Ego

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 05:01:38 PM »
I had the hardest time just not having the necessary focus.  I'm not sure if they were harder.  I didn't think they were.

I did get Pwned.

Fidelio

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 05:03:33 PM »
To the OP,

Yah it has been somewhat chowing down on my meals as well.  I am going to step it up studying for RC. 

Ego

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »
I am going to eat more.

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 06:59:28 PM »
I took ritalin for awhile as an adult, but I never became addicted.  It did help some, but had some side effects I didn't like.  It killed my appetite and made my stomach upset.  That's something I don't care to repeat.