Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA or Northwestern???  (Read 440 times)

yalie02

• View Profile
UCLA or Northwestern???
« on: January 14, 2006, 09:50:41 PM »
Thoughts?

Will probably practice in California eventually, but would like to work a little bit in NYC after graduation.  Also interested in doing a clerkship.  Currently, planning to specialize in Intellectual Property and Business Law but that can change while at school.

Thanks for your input.

judicialreview

• 1L at LLS
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lostintime95
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA or Northwestern???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 11:03:15 PM »
Thoughts?

Will probably practice in California eventually, but would like to work a little bit in NYC after graduation.  Also interested in doing a clerkship.  Currently, planning to specialize in Intellectual Property and Business Law but that can change while at school.

Thanks for your input.

If you are going to work in NYC after graduation, then go to a school that places in NYC well.  If you want the kind of flexibility to go coast to coast, then I'd suspect T14 would be better, so my gut says Northwestern.  If you just wanted to start in Cali, then UCLA would be the best bet.  I don't know how NW places in NYC, but I'd suspect it would place better than UCLA.  But if you have numbers to get into either school, I'd suspect you'd have numbers to get into another T-14 that might place better in NYC, I'd think G'Town might do so better than NW

yalie02

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 02:23:11 PM »
Thank you for your feedback.  Does anyone else have any other thoughts on this?

Northwestern seems to be very well ranked and rising following their initiatives.  Yet, based on the feelings on this board, it seems that Northwestern is not as well respected as some other T-14 schools.  Any thoughts on why that is?  How do you think Northwestern's national repuation compare to a school like UCLA?

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 02:58:29 PM »
if you want to go to nyc then you should go to northwestern.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 06:59:51 PM »
On the east coast, NW will place you in a better situation than UCLA.