Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Law... opinions? City of Pitt opinions?  (Read 951 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Duquesne Law... opinions? City of Pitt opinions?
« on: January 14, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »
Hey guys, i am really considering Duqesne Law and would love to get some more information if possible. Any current students have reviews? anyone visited? anything about pittsburgh in general? All the info could really help me out. Thanks again!
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne Law... opinions? City of Pitt opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:09:51 PM »
hey gordon... i am looking at duquesne as well (its my number one choice). i can give you some insight on the city as i live only an hour from there and been there 5 trillion times it seems.

what are you numbers just curious?

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 03:38:46 PM »
hey man, my numbers were 152/3.62 and they accepted me. what about you? yea, all the infor u could give me would really really help cause duq is making its way to my top choice as well...
Lets go Pirates!

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »
mine are 149/3.38, but thats with an average... duquesne takes the highest score lsat and i got a 150.

as for the city... its a great city no matter what you hear. its on the up. the town doesnt have too much night life, but its not like youre gonna need it anyway as a law student.

the city is tough to get around in a car, so unless you really need it... i wouldnt bring one.

the sports are great whether its a pens hockey game, a steeler football game, or a cheap ticket at the pirate game.

pittsburgh has a gorgeous skyline and a lot of cool stuff to check out.

the carnegie science center is AMAZING
pnc park is the best baseball stadium in america by far
the national aviary is great
station square is a fun time
the warhol museum is cool as well
plus the carnegie museums are out of this world as well.

i definitely recommend pittsburgh as a place to live... its great.

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:30:04 PM »
mine are 149/3.38, but thats with an average... duquesne takes the highest score lsat and i got a 150.

as for the city... its a great city no matter what you hear. its on the up. the town doesnt have too much night life, but its not like youre gonna need it anyway as a law student.

the city is tough to get around in a car, so unless you really need it... i wouldnt bring one.

the sports are great whether its a pens hockey game, a steeler football game, or a cheap ticket at the pirate game.

pittsburgh has a gorgeous skyline and a lot of cool stuff to check out.

the carnegie science center is AMAZING
pnc park is the best baseball stadium in america by far
the national aviary is great
station square is a fun time
the warhol museum is cool as well
plus the carnegie museums are out of this world as well.

i definitely recommend pittsburgh as a place to live... its great.

thanks man, yea i heard from multiple people that Pitt is a great city. do you know much about Duq or have any info or opinions on it?
Lets go Pirates!

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 05:36:39 PM »
if you want to practice in western pennsylvania.. its great.

i cant tell you about anywhere outside of my area however.

although i do know that many law firms in pittsburgh hire duquesne grads and they pay good money.

i would think you would need to do very well to be looked at at a high paying law firm.

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 04:33:06 PM »
I live about 15 minutes from the campus and I visited when I considered going there for undergrad and I absolutely hated the campus. One of the worst parts of Pittsburgh is right over the hill and Oakland isn't very safe at night (but what else can you expect in a big city.) Pittsburgh is a great city, but I was not at all impressed with Duq.'s campus.
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ianny1982
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 06:35:48 PM »
What about the University of Pittsburgh campus? I am considering the school, but have never been to Pitt. Thanks.
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   
Bring It On Home: Northeastern(WL), Chicago-Loyola(WL),  Brooklyn
Heartbreaker: Georgetown, George Washington, American

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 01:06:03 PM »
ok, im from pittsburgh.  here's the scoop.  its a good town, the night life is pretty good in certain areas, south side especially which is close to duq's campus.  duq's campus is actually amazingly nice for how urban it is.  pitt is in oakland and really doesnt have a campus, just a mishmash of buildings scattered around.  oakland is safe at night, i dont know what that review is about.  close to duq's campus is the hill district which is probably the worst neighborhood in pittsburgh, but its not directly next to it so there is no reason to go there unless your looking for some smack.  the city is nice, and has some world class museums and sports facilities which people might not expect in a city like pittsburgh.  getting around pittsburgh in a car isnt that tough, its not nyc.  parking at duq, isnt easy and is something like 300 a semester to park in the garage.  housing is cheaper than most cities, and thats what most people credit pittsburgh for being so wonderful for.  its a good city with a low cost of living.  as for prospects, i have heard from a lot of lawyers that duq is looked at as equal to pitt and the area is pretty much dominated attorney wise by duq and pitt grads. 

GUsigma307

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - J2thauL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »
I'm also from Pittsburgh and my mom worked in Oakland for years. Depending on where you are in Oakland, the area is not safe. The area the law school is in is ok though. If anyone is considering getting an apartment near the campus, I would ask to talk to a current tenant if they'll let you. A lot of my friends who rent cheaper apts near the campus have horrible landlords. Be careful.
1L at Texas Tech and ALMOST DONE with the first semester!