Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interesting Choice of Textbooks  (Read 1333 times)

jgruber

Interesting Choice of Textbooks
« on: July 20, 2004, 04:44:44 PM »
I was expecting a ton o' casebooks for 1L.  I got my books at registration today.

For contracts, I got what I expected a case book of contracts.  At least I think it's a case book.  Studies in Contract Law - Murphy, Speidel, and Ayres

But for torts, the only text book seems to be a hornbook.  The Law of Torts by Dobbs and it says on the cover Hornbook Series.  I was surprised at that.

For criminal law, I got another surprise.  One book is the Tennessee Criminal Justice Handbook, published each year by the state as a supplement to the statutes.
The other textbook and only other book for criminal law is Criminal Law: Examples and Explanations by Singer and La Fond.  No casebook, just examples and explanations.

Wudya think of that?  It's one of the primers that PLS II recommends if I'm not mistaken.  You think maybe Atticus Falcon was wrong about at least one school?

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Choice of Textbooks
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 08:31:44 PM »
They actually gave you your books @ registration?  Interesting.  I am anticipating a very large textbook bill.  I don't know what to make of your textbooks.  Maybe law schools are changing.  Maybe those books are normal to see in evening programs, since you take fewer classes and are expected to be working.  I'll admit, however, that it is sort of strange.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

jgruber

Re: Interesting Choice of Textbooks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:52:31 AM »
After registration, I walked down to the bookstore and bought the books.  Two weren't in yet.  The bill came to 288.00

They actually gave you your books @ registration?  Interesting.  I am anticipating a very large textbook bill.  I don't know what to make of your textbooks.  Maybe law schools are changing.  Maybe those books are normal to see in evening programs, since you take fewer classes and are expected to be working.  I'll admit, however, that it is sort of strange.