Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This Need Access Form is Like Rocket Science....Help?  (Read 583 times)

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This Need Access Form is Like Rocket Science....Help?
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »
Okay, so I have finally started looking into completing financial aid forms.

A few questions:

1)  The big one:  My mother, a widow, will not provide me with any support for law school.  In fact, she will not even provide any information to complete the form.  She says, "Jesus, C____, you're 29, why would I help you pay for law school."  Ideas?  Does this mean I won't be considered at all for need-based aid directly from any and all schools that request parent info?

2)  Undergraduate awards and loans:  do I need to be accurate here, or can I guesstimate, because I have NO idea?  In fact, I wouldn't even know where to start.

3)  Is the section re:  graduate study in ques 23 about expected grants and loans during upcoming LAW school?

Whew. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: This Need Access Form is Like Rocket Science....Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
Okay, so I have finally started looking into completing financial aid forms.

A few questions:

1)  The big one:  My mother, a widow, will not provide me with any support for law school.  In fact, she will not even provide any information to complete the form.  She says, "Jesus, C____, you're 29, why would I help you pay for law school."  Ideas?  Does this mean I won't be considered at all for need-based aid directly from any and all schools that request parent info?

2)  Undergraduate awards and loans:  do I need to be accurate here, or can I guesstimate, because I have NO idea?  In fact, I wouldn't even know where to start.

3)  Is the section re:  graduate study in ques 23 about expected grants and loans during upcoming LAW school?

Whew. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, so now I'm really confused.  I just completed atudent's and the parent's section of this form.  I was asked NO information regarding my mother's income or assets!?  Did I do something wrong or is the form designed to not request that information based on the schools I apllied to or the answers I provided to questions in the studnet section?

Also, here's comes the dumbest question yet:  do I need to complete the divorced / separated section?  It's just kinda hanging out there with a 0% complete thinger next to it.

???

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This Need Access Form is Like Rocket Science....Help?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:30:49 PM »
Hey Likewise -  Rocket science might be easier! 

Anyway, I just finished (I hope) that need access app and here is my two cents.

(1) I had to ask my parents for their info and I am 38.  The last time I was a dependent Reagan was President .... Luckily they thought it was more humorous/ridiculous than offensive. 

(2) If your mother truly refuses to cooperate, I would not enter any information for her anywhere in the parents section.  I would leave all those entries blank or put zeros.  Then I would send her a very brief "To Whom it May Concern" letter stating "I (her name) have no financial relationship with (your name), my son, and I refuse to provide any financial or other information to him or on his behalf."  I would then ask her to sign that and have it notarized.  Finally, I would write in the "special circumstances" box at the very end of the app that your mother has refused to provide any information and has signed a notarized letter to that effect and that you would be more than happy to provide them a copy of said letter.

(3) I am guessing that since your parents are not divorced, you can ignore the divorced parents part.  My only reservation would be if your mom has remarried, not sure what that answer would be.

(4) I would not guess on undergrad stuff but would call/email/visit your UG financial aid office, who will have an accurate record of your financial aid awards. 

Hope that helps!  The upside is that, as far as I can tell, you are like most people in that the schools that use this form are the most highly ranked ones to which you have applied, so if this form matters it will be really good news!!