Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Want to work in the SoCal area, is it bad to attend school up north?  (Read 345 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
So my most likely top accepts seem to be USF and Pacific, and I am wondering if it will hurt me a lot to go there rather than to Southwestern, an LA school, yet more Tier 3 than the other 2.  In addition, I heard that SW drops the bottom 30% of the 1L class and that seems to just breed crazy competition and anxiety that isn't really necessary.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
Re: Want to work in the SoCal area, is it bad to attend school up north?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:48:34 PM »
forced curve no longer appies for upcoming classes, but PACIFIC and USF are better schools.  Southwestern is in a bad area, and their graduates do have a hard time finding jobs

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:50:45 PM »
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

check out the link. browse for firms in the area in which you would like to work. many firms will list the shcools where they conduct oncampus interviews. use this is a barometer to guage where your school will enable you to work

the tried and true natioanl ones are almost always there (GW to Yale) plus the local / state schools that they pick recent grads up from ...
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »
forced curve no longer appies for upcoming classes, but PACIFIC and USF are better schools.  Southwestern is in a bad area, and their graduates do have a hard time finding jobs

Is this true?  It's right near Loyola and I heard they have a really good alumni-base, but that was from people who went there so I'm sure they're biased and don't know how hard it is to find a job.

Fierfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ILadyIce
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:31:53 PM »

Is this true?  It's right near Loyola and I heard they have a really good alumni-base, but that was from people who went there so I'm sure they're biased and don't know how hard it is to find a job.

I think Loyola is in a much worse area and looks like a prison (not that I wouldn't go there if they accepted me :p). As for having a hard time finding jobs, I don't know - the attorney who I assist is a SW graduate, and she's had no trouble finding jobs in the OC/LA area.