Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which of these three schools would you choose?

Chicago
 90 (31.7%)
Columbia
 134 (47.2%)
New York University
 60 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author Topic: Battle Royale: Chicago vs. Columbia vs. NYU  (Read 23394 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Royale: Chicago vs. Columbia vs. NYU
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »
Pickles, I've worked a little bit with Sachs (I'm presently a PhD student studying climate at Columbia, switching over to law). Let me assure you that he is, indeed, the biggest feminine hygene product in world history.

Really?!? How disappointing from someone who seems so genuine in wanting to help people.

My Ayn Rand novels tell me that altruism is inherently corrupting. 

/just sayin'
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2007, 11:06:20 AM »
Pickles, I've worked a little bit with Sachs (I'm presently a PhD student studying climate at Columbia, switching over to law). Let me assure you that he is, indeed, the biggest feminine hygene product in world history.

Really?!? How disappointing from someone who seems so genuine in wanting to help people.

Yes, the consensus among people who've worked with him is that he's not the greatest person to work with. The broader point, however, remains that Columbia is better than almost any other school (the only possible exception is Harvard, and that's debatable) in the depth and richness of the school's connections to international development and human rights issues.
Columbia 2L.

Violet247

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Flower
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »

Pickles, I asked this question earlier in the thread, but now that you seem to be around, can you respond to it?

"Would you mind telling me how a legal degree works into this?  I've heard 0Ls say this before, but I can't for the life of me imagine how an American legal education is particularly helpful in this field.

I don't mean that to be hostile.  I am genuinely curious."

I've heard of a lot of people working with these issues legally. You can work with human rights, in my experience, in a number of different ways- working with NGOs, working in government to set legislation and try to enforce it, studying and exposing different crimes through journalism, economically etc. In my opinion there are a lot of legal factors that work into all of this activism and that's the facet I would like to work with. I'm not expecting to single handedly feed an entire starving country, save lives physically or solve all the economic and cultural issues that play into these problems in the first place but if I can lend a hand in any way at all I consider my work meaningful. I think law is very interdisciplinary and the interplay between it and other fields completes the big picture. Just my perspective at least. 

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »

Pickles, I asked this question earlier in the thread, but now that you seem to be around, can you respond to it?

"Would you mind telling me how a legal degree works into this?  I've heard 0Ls say this before, but I can't for the life of me imagine how an American legal education is particularly helpful in this field.

I don't mean that to be hostile.  I am genuinely curious."

I've heard of a lot of people working with these issues legally. You can work with human rights, in my experience, in a number of different ways- working with NGOs, working in government to set legislation and try to enforce it, studying and exposing different crimes through journalism, economically etc. In my opinion there are a lot of legal factors that work into all of this activism and that's the facet I would like to work with. I'm not expecting to single handedly feed an entire starving country, save lives physically or solve all the economic and cultural issues that play into these problems in the first place but if I can lend a hand in any way at all I consider my work meaningful. I think law is very interdisciplinary and the interplay between it and other fields completes the big picture. Just my perspective at least. 

Seems like you could do all of this without an american law degree (and the corresponding waste of three years and extremely large amounts of money).  Why don't you just volunteer for an NGO now? Or apply for a position at the UN now? Or start studying and exposing crimes through journalism now? I can't imagine you'll be better equipped for these kinds of activities by taking torts and securities law.

If your goal is to get involved in solving problems in third world countries, law school seems like an extraordinarily indirect and inefficient way to get there.

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2007, 08:36:12 PM »
this seems like as good an argumnt as any for why you shouldn't go to uc:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N0UN_ZIaYjQ

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »
Ugh, there are nerds at every law school ... ours are just attention starved.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2007, 12:02:03 AM »
So is this a long winded thread saying if you want to do public interest go to NYU? I'm seriously considering Columbia but am pretty dead set on human rights law, especially internationally in Africa. Would it be a mistake to pick Columbia over NYU if this is one's goal?

I haven't read this thread in its totality, but I just saw this. I actually think Columbia is better for human rights law. The faculty who do human rights are better at Columbia and you are connected to a university that has way better programs over all. Between SIPA, the Earth Institute, and the Business School, there is just a lot more going on at Columbia connected to international human rights and economic development. Columbia also has massive hook-ups with the UN. If you want to work in Africa, and you are deciding between Columbia and NYU, you should almost definitely go to Columbia.

if you want to work for the UN, forget it, you are an american and therefore you have like zero chance because of the quota system they use. you're up against former us attorneys and assistant secretaries of state.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

JuanTwoThree

• Sr. Citizen
  • Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »
So the correct answer is : The differences are very small. Go where you feel most comfortable.

anon1111

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2007, 05:08:33 PM »
So the correct answer is : The differences are very small. Go where you feel most comfortable.

I would take the exact opposite conclusion: The differences b/w NYU and C-C is significant,  since it's as big as the diff b/w C-C and H-S. The diff b/w C-C is statistically insignificant. The diff b/w Y and H-S is huge. The diff b/w M-V and N (let alone C-C) is huge. Penn is halfway b/w NYU and M-V.

JuanTwoThree

• Sr. Citizen
  • Arnold is numero uno
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2007, 05:16:06 PM »

I would take the exact opposite conclusion: The differences b/w NYU and C-C is significant,  since it's as big as the diff b/w C-C and H-S. The diff b/w C-C is statistically insignificant. The diff b/w Y and H-S is huge. The diff b/w M-V and N (let alone C-C) is huge. Penn is halfway b/w NYU and M-V.

Yes huge if you greatly value the difference between going to a V5 and going to a V7.