Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford DING!  (Read 23572 times)

snikrep

Re: Stanford DING!
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2006, 05:29:37 PM »
But they applied a lot earlier (I think), 11-18 was the earliers application date I had seen.

NYerCartoonist

• "I'm a lawyer, so I'll try the torte."
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2006, 05:37:58 PM »
AAC, I'm so sorry. That sucks. I'm really surprised. You've gotten into SO many awesome schools, so you should feel great regardless.

This is such a humbling (and ulcer inducing) process, I hate it. I've been complete since 11/7. My stomach is totally in knots right now. I won't be home to check the mail for hours.

Rolling admissions is almost worse than online status check systems.

aac2022

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
AAC, I'm so sorry. That sucks. I'm really surprised. You've gotten into SO many awesome schools, so you should feel great regardless.

This is such a humbling (and ulcer inducing) process, I hate it. I've been complete since 11/7. My stomach is totally in knots right now. I won't be home to check the mail for hours.

Rolling admissions is almost worse than online status check systems.

Hah, no worries.  I didn't really have a strong desire to go to Stanford as I didn't want to go to CA (I don't have a driver's license) and they also aren't particularly strong in where my interests lie (international and Chinese law).

It seemed pretty clear I'd be rejected due to my GPA.  They kind of freak me out with their obsession with GPA.  I'm pretty glad I won't be going there as I could not exist in a class full of hard workers.
Accepted: GULC, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Penn, Chicago, Columbia
Denied: Stanford
Waitlisted: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aac2022

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2006, 11:57:28 PM »
I look forward to seeing Stanford's enrollment numbers this year. What are their impossible (caprcious?) standards?
I'm done with apps...waiting to visit schools and make a decision.

pnkldy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2006, 12:58:29 AM »
my friends and I joke that you have to play the cello underwater to get into Stanford. I do not know if this applies to Law School... but it sure seems to.

They are random; I read on LSD that they like work experience, but I have no way of proving/disproving that information. It seems from LSN they hate splitters, but I still have my hopes up.

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2006, 01:02:47 AM »
I play the oboe underwater.
I'm done with apps...waiting to visit schools and make a decision.

thescreed

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2006, 01:08:12 AM »
For those of you already dinged by Stanford, did you do any Stanford-specific stuff with your application (separate letters with Form C, addendum on why Stanford, etc.) or did you submit as one of many apps?

I've heard from some people who went to Stanford (though it was years ago) that the thing Stanford values more than anything except ability to do the work is wanting to go to Stanford -- which supposedly is why they ding East Coast people who are autoadmits at Harvard, Yale, or the New York schools.

Anyone with data to confirm or refute this?

Mikhaila

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
I did not submit any SLS specific materials, though my PS was exclusively about my interest in PI work.

chombi3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2006, 06:18:16 PM »
i finally saw the actual letter when i went home today...that was the nicest rejection i've ever gotten.  it almost made me feel good.  faye deal, you are a nice lady.
Crazy For You: georgetown, NYU, penn ($$$), UVA, chicago, columbia, harvard!!
Rejection Is The Greatest Aphrodisiac: Stanford
Justify My Love: yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chombi3

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2006, 06:21:52 PM »
i finally saw the actual letter when i went home today...that was the nicest rejection i've ever gotten.  it almost made me feel good.  faye deal, you are a nice lady.

what did it say?

chombi when (if :-\) are we getting into CLS?  :'(
HLS '09