Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford DING!  (Read 23296 times)

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
Re: Stanford DING!
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »
Reviving this thread just to celebrate my rejection (complete 1/30, rejected 3/13). 

The idea of living in California for three years was kind of nice, but do I really care?  Hell no!  :D
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

ImNobody

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2006, 04:18:26 PM »
Oy, I'm in this club now too. Sweet.

On the plus side, no word from Harvard yet- are they hoping that if they ignore me, I'll go away? Silly Toby, don't you know every day you wait to reject me is just another victory for me? mwhahahha.

ladylazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »
:(

Obviously didn't expect anything else, but it still stung a little... oh, you little white envelopes, how you make me cry.

dw05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2006, 10:05:29 AM »
forgot to post over here last night, but i finally got the axe yesterday.
I'm going to Harvard!

newtolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »
called - dinged over the phone. (letters mailed today)

oxman

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »
I'm surprised they would give a decision over the phone.

newtolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
they told me a letter was sent today.  i asked what it said, they put me on hold, and then told me.

NYerCartoonist

• "I'm a lawyer, so I'll try the torte."
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »
The white envelope arrived yesterday.

My interest in law school had died around January, so I didn't feel the pain. I opened the letter as if opening a pack of E-VALU community coupons. Indifferent but curious, distracted by the InStyle magazine below. The feeling confirms what I've known for the last few years: I don't want to go to law school.

I'm sending withdrawals to other schools today. Stanford was the only school I, lacking desire to be a lawyer, would have attended. I'm far more excited about my current field and, having discussed the role of law in the field with numerous people, am not at all excited about the contribution lawyers make. (Actually, they can make a huge contribution in government--but I do not want to be a politician.) I like creating options, so I had to give law school applications a go. Too bad it was an expensive go. But one thousand dollars is, in my opinion, worth never wondering "what if?"

Best of luck to everyone still in purgatory! I hope you all enjoy law school and practicing law.

To those students still in college, I highly recommend you defer admission for one or more years. Getting caught in the grad school momentum of friends is understandable. But do not let it decide your career. There are a lot of unhappy lawyers. It's not because the field is inherently awful, but because many people do not know what it is like to really practice law. Please, for your sake, spend some time with lawyers before attending. Law school is not supposed to be three years of "finding out what you want to actually do."

That said, I hope all of you do very, very well in law and that it provides fulfilling and challenging work! May our paths cross in the future.

My very best,
NYC

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2006, 06:49:23 PM »
Ding.
Today by snail mail.  letter dated 3/23, postmarked 3/28, sent to the wrong address, forwarded and arrived today.

bluesmoke

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
Rejected today... Called and they told me.   >:(