Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any hope?  (Read 1764 times)

justold

• View Profile
Re: any hope?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 04:06:42 PM »
Make sure you send an updated transcript to your schools if you haven't already with your new grades!  It may help your case!

Thanks wunderbucket!  You've all been really helpful.  :) 

redbottlecap

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »
Even with your stellar accomplishments, your going to have a tough time getting in FT. PT gives you a better shot because PT LSAT numbers are not used for ranking purposes, thus your “whole package” comes into play.

Even with an LSAT in the 140s, with his soft factors, he should be able to get into a a couple of T4 schools.  I think it'd be easier for him to attend wherever he can get in with an eye at transfering after his first year.  Maybe not to the T14, but certainly, a school in the top 100.

But he may want to consider applying outside of MA.  Limiting his options isn't doing himself any favors.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:57:19 AM »
I'd say my situation closely parallels yours in that I had a 2.095 GPA and graduated 10 years ago.  My soft factors aren't as impressive as yours, but I've held a few decent jobs and spent the last 3 years working in a law office.  I scored a 161 and consider myself very lucky to have gotten accepted at Suffolk, and I wouldn't be surprised to be rejected from New England.  (BC and Northeastern have already rejected me).

I think the only reason Suffolk took me is because they actually spoke to me.  They requested an interview with me - as with most law schools, this is rare.  Their concern was whether I'd be able to a handle rigorous doctoral level academic program - a legitimate concern considering my undergrad GPA.  I was able to help them understand that, for a variety of reasons, my undergrad numbers were not indicative of my academic abilities then or now.  Also, I was able to reassure them that this was something that I'd considered and planned for a few years - something I took very seriously. 

Your recent A's and B's will help you 'justify' your application, but honestly, with an LSAT in the low 140's, I seriously doubt you'll get the chance.  Maybe you should call some schools and request an interview - I'm not sure this is done, but it may be your only chance.  But really, I think you need to get a better LSAT score.  Take a prep class and re-test.  You're going to need something in the mid-to-high 150's just to get these schools attention.  Then, maybe they'll realize that your numbers aren't a fair representation.

You've got to look at this honestly.  Law schools simply don't accept people with 2.0 GPA's.  And it is extrememly difficult to get into any law school with a sub-150 LSAT score.  This process isn't like baseball - you don't get a third strike.  They make their decisions based on those two numbers.  There are some schools, Thomas M. Cooley in MI, comes to mind, that accept just about everybody, but set high academic standards and fail our a large percentage of their students.  A situation like that may be possible, but it begs the question, is this really for you?  Maybe that is something to reconsider. 

Edit - well I've reconsidered a bit.  Look at New England's applicant profile for last year - http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/lsac3288.pdf

They had 676 applicants with LSAT scores in the 140-144 range, of which they admitted 20.  One of these admits had a GPA in the 2.25-2.49 range, and 3 had GPA's in the 2.50-274 range.  So there is a chance.  But they rejected all 19 applicants with LSATs of 140-144 and GPA's of 2.00-2.24.  I guess you have to hope none of them had good soft factors. 

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.  But if this is something you really want and you get rejected everywhere this cycle, take an LSAT prep course and re-test.  Because, like it or not, LSAT is king in this process. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »
upNdown is right on the money.  Your GPA can possibly be overcome - and apparently you're taking the steps to do that by getting good grades in classes you're taking now.  But you've got to have a high LSAT to have any realistic chance to have them take a serious look at you.  I'm certain you can get a high enough LSAT score if you prep seriously (and that means taking a good class, in my mind, and really busting your butt in it to learn the techniques).  The LSAT is very learnable - at least enough for you to score in the mid-150's (which is really just a slightly above average score). 
Emory '09

LSN