Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any hope?  (Read 1791 times)

justold

• View Profile
any hope?
« on: January 13, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »
Is there any hope for a candidate like me?  I graduated a dozen years ago, gpa was a 2.0.  :-\ My LSAT is in the low 140's but I have taken classes at my local college and pulled A's and B's. My work experience stems from Congressional staffer to local government and political campaigns. 

I just submitted all of my apps (Jan.)

Any helpful thoughts?

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: any hope?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:51 PM »
Honestly?  It's going to be very, very difficult.  Where did you apply?

Check out this - doesn't bode well for you, I'm afraid.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=latinlord
Emory '09

LSN

justold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 12:01:41 PM »
Honestly?  It's going to be very, very difficult.  Where did you apply?

Check out this - doesn't bode well for you, I'm afraid.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=latinlord

I really appreciate your reply, any reply, I think I'm being short changed in your response.  Who knows, you may be right.  Suppose I need to prepare myself for anything.  However, I believe my resume and all my past experiences will be of real use.  I've been working and volunteering on campaigns since 1989!  I've worked in Congress as a staffer literally writing laws and explaining them to constituents, other Members of Congress, etc and I've been raising money, on my own time, for charities for years.  Not that this tidbit matters, but yes, I've even been rescuing dogs and help to rehabilitate them.  I think just on my experiences alone I will have a very hopeful chance of getting in somewhere.  (I applied to all the MASS schools b/c of an impending move).  In addition to all of this, my grades are very old so they won't be weighed as heavily.  I also have been taking classes in the past recent years and have nothing but high marks.  That sets a tone for my more "mature" track record.  Based on "traditional" numbers alone, I agree -- there's slim to no chance at all.  I do believe I have a chance....somewhere.  Thanks for responding, it's good to get other people's input.   :)

Just Old.  (But not old and out yet.)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 01:22:22 PM »
I really appreciate your reply, any reply, I think I'm being short changed in your response.
I think you were given some honest advice, actually.

You make a good case for yourself, but it's based on soft factors. A lot of schools appear to use LSAT/GPA to make a first cut, and then any soft factors come after that. Some are more willing to consider more up front than others. And despite your comment about your grades being old, I graduated from college when most of my classmates were in pre-school or elementary school. I've been queried about undergraduate grades more in law school than I ever was in any professional aspect of my post-college life. (Part of this is due to IP firms, but not all.)

So, what you really need to do is use what you have available such as your personal statement sell yourself on what you've done, and what you feel you can do. Be careful of how you put in the "I've run campaigns" type of things, becuase when I read that, I think more marketing and organizational development than law. Focus more on the legislative, using the other aspects to show that you're a well-rounded individual in both interests and capabilities.

All that said, it's still going to be tough. However, if you can get in somewhere and if you can do well, then you can always do a transfer up to a better-ranked school.

For another tactic, have you considered taking the LSAT again, and applying in another year?

redbottlecap

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 10:33:57 PM »
Is there any hope for a candidate like me?

Where did you apply?

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 10:43:53 PM »
Have you considered going for a one-year grad degree to help your GPA and retaking the LSAT?  It may help if you don't feel satisfied with this round of applications.

My husband had a little over a 3.0 GPA and a high 140's GPA.  He also had a mountain of political experience (though I think not as much as you).  He got into three Tier-4 schools and got waitlisted at a Tier-3.  New England School of Law was one of the ones he got into if that helps.  I think he applied to 11 schools total.  (He's just finishing up at a Tier-4 this semester)

Don't forget -- there is always that transfer possibility looming after first year if you show you can outperform your "numbers"...  If you haven't applied for part-time programs, that may help too.  They are more likely to look for work experience over scores and grades.  Good luck!!

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 04:08:06 AM »
I agree that you have a good case on soft factors, but from what I have observed soft factors carry very, very limited weight.  It seems to me that the first cut at many (most?  all?) places is to calculate your index score based on LSAT and GPA, take a quick look through your app to make sure you haven't cured cancer, won an Olymipic gold medal, or the like, and then toss you into the In, Out, or Maybe pile.

You are right about the fact that your old grades won't carry as much weight because they are old - for "non-traditional" students, schools look a lot more at your LSAT score as an indicator of how well you're going to be able to do the work.  (And I'm not just talking out of my rear end here - I'm in a similar situation to you with regards to crummy old grades, though mine weren't quite that crummy)  Your problem, quite honestly, is your LSAT score.  Even if you have good grades, it's very difficult to get accepted anywhere with a sub-150 LSAT score.  Low LSAT *and* low GPA?  Suffice it to say that you've got one heck of a hurdle to overcome.

You've sent in your apps already (if you haven't applied to Western New England and Vermont, you should - those look like the best bets in your area based on your numbers - and they're still less than 10%), so there's not much you can do at this point.  If you don't get in anywhere, then you really need to retake the LSAT.  Yes, it's a royal pain, but you really need to pull that up significantly to give yourself a decent chance of getting in.  Take a Powerscore or Testmasters class and take the June LSAT (certainly no later than the October test) and send in your applications as early as possible.  And pray a lot.

Good luck!
Emory '09

LSN

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:02:38 AM »
Have you considered part-time programs? A lot of schools let people with lower stats and great soft factors into part-time programs. A lot will allow you to switch into the full-time program if you've finished 1L with high grades, so this could be your best option in terms of getting your foot in the door.  No matter which option you choose, I still think your best bet is to enroll in an LSAT class and take the June LSAT, because it will be very hard to get out of the auto-reject pile at this point. 

justold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 01:50:11 PM »
Thank you all for replying.  I know my situation is grim but I won't go down without trying.  :)  Here's some nutty news, I just rec'd a letter from my acad. dean @ my current school that i made Dean's List.  It arrived late -- go figure -- AFTER i sent in my apps.  SIgh.  Life is full of interesting twists, isn't it?

Again, thank you for all your inputs -- I appreciate your thoughts and will just wait.  I think I' ve mastered twiddling my thumbs. 

Just Old
and getting older

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »
Make sure you send an updated transcript to your schools if you haven't already with your new grades!  It may help your case!