Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews?  (Read 1214 times)

French Baker

• View Profile
Jews?
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:31:33 PM »
I checked all the past posts but did not see one for Jews. Anybody out there have an opinion on what to check on applications, if anything at all?
-Thank you.

SkullTatt

Re: Jews?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »
I think most schools probably don't ask about Jewishness because (1) it would be asking about religion, and (2) it would open them up to accuasations of anti-Semitism (which probably exists at a lot of schools in the past.)

French Baker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:56:27 PM »
Jews are not defined by a religion: Do you remember those Israelites in the Bible- Abraham and Moses and Joshua? Well, we are those Israelites. We are still around, but definitly a minority. We represent less then .025 percent of the planets total population.

Slow Blues

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 09:47:27 AM »
Whether you're Sephardic or Ashkenazi, I would check other. I don't think White/Caucasian would appropriately capture a Jewish identity, given their true origin and long history of persecution. Although in the end, the point is sort of moot; since Jews are over-represented in the legal profession, it won't confer any special consideration.

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »
any race box doesn't appropriately capture anyone's identity.  If you are white, you are white.  If you want to write about being Jewish, you can always put it in a diversity statement, but like Slow Blues said, you are not underrepresented.

Mr Shears

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »
What if you're Jewish and hard of hearing?

Mr Shears

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:46:43 PM »
Haha, I figured as much.  I'm practically all Lithuanian, but I doubt that classifies me as an URM.  Oh, well.

BTW, this is the third time I've attempted to post this.  Frickin' internet.