Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Same Personal Statements for All Schools  (Read 4421 times)

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
Re: Same Personal Statements for All Schools
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 08:08:04 PM »
Hmmm, I've never really thought about including a picture.  What do you guys think about that idea?

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 08:16:02 PM »
who says swifty is shifty?!

dta

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 08:19:02 PM »
Make sure that you put individual information about the school at the end of the personal statement.  "The first step to my law school vision starts at [Insert Law School].  Your fantastic [insert something you learned about the school through reading their website or discussing with their Admissions Office on the phone] will be a key resource in my legal education.  The stellar faculty-to-student ratio communicates your school's commitment to student/faculty interaction and blah blah blah"

I disagree. The adcoms surely know this game - a PS that ends with plug-and-chug references to the school. In my PS I simply referred to "law school" and not any school in particular. At the very least i think the adcoms know that my lack of reference to their school in particular in my PS displays no less interest in the school than someone adopting the plug-and-chug model. At best, they'll recognize it as a more honest approach. Either way, I don't have to inject a hacked and heavily used motif at the end of my PS, an introduction I think would reduce the overall cohesion of my PS.

lexylit

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 08:25:31 PM »
Hmmm, I've never really thought about including a picture.  What do you guys think about that idea?

include your avatar, very small, in the bottom right hand corner of each page of your app

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 08:31:14 PM »
You gonna use the one in the black cocktail dress?  Looks like an auto-admit to me!

Shrub- I think Montauk quotes testimonial from adcoms that look for some individualizing of the PS, a la school-specific.  I don't, however, suggest that means plugging in the name at the end of the essay.

dta

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 08:39:07 PM »
Shrub- I think Montauk quotes testimonial from adcoms that look for some individualizing of the PS, a la school-specific.  I don't, however, suggest that means plugging in the name at the end of the essay.

My comments were specifically directed toward the plug-and-chug model quoted before my comment. Actually constructing a custom PS from scratch for each school would be the best model, but I and most people just don't have time for that.

buster

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 09:18:21 PM »
I like that idea! Do you think they will be able to tell that my avatar is an artist's rendering rather than a photograph?

include your avatar, very small, in the bottom right hand corner of each page of your app

LSATGuru

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 09:25:19 PM »
It also tells them that you KNOW things about their school and why you want to go there, which can be a very compelling reason for them to admit you, which is the ultimate goal, not letting them know everything about you down to your poodle's middle name.
In my opinion, it's acceptable with one exception. Make sure that you put individual information about the school at the end of the personal statement.  "The first step to my law school vision starts at [Insert Law School].  Your fantastic [insert something you learned about the school through reading their website or discussing with their Admissions Office on the phone] will be a key resource in my legal education.  The stellar faculty-to-student ratio communicates your school's commitment to student/faculty interaction and blah blah blah"

Round it off with personal reasons, like you have visisted their city before and loved this or that, how you want to eventually practice law in that area because of the thriving economy and so on.
Hey guys,
You know how a lot of schools just want you to write a PS that gives them insight into who you are, rather than asking specific questions.  Well, is it a good idea to send the same one to the schools that simply suggest you write about anything you want?
While I agree that it is acceptable to insert the school's name into your personal statement, I think your example illustrates one of the many things you should not include in your personal statement.  You are telling the School X about School X, which not only points out information with which the adcoms are already familiar, but also wastes precious sentences that you could be using to tell about yourself.  I think the only time it is appropriate to include information like that is when you are writing a seperate statement for admission to a particular program in the school (like LEOP at Hastings), at which point it would certainly be appropriate to indicate what aspects of the program would make it the correct educational path for you.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2004, 09:27:13 PM »
So, dude...you got a poodle?

lexylit

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2004, 11:04:01 PM »
my shih tzu's middle name is "yale"