Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which years are used to calculate the GPA for Canadian Law Schools?  (Read 3464 times)

lawms

• View Profile
Hi everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. 
Which years of your undergraduate degree are used to calculate your GPA for Canadian Law schools?
If you have more then one undergraduate degree,(I have three) do they look at the GPA for each degree or combine it?
Many thanks!
lawms

judiasu

• View Profile
Re: Which years are used to calculate the GPA for Canadian Law Schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:37 PM »
Hey don't quote me on this,

I've been reading a couple of the admission criteria for most the schools in Canada, and each school will vary.  Some will take your entire undergrad (3 or 4 years) and some will look at the last 2 years.  With regards to your situation, I was reading the lsac pdf description and they said they took the first undergrad. regardless of how many undergrads u've done.  Whether or not the schools follow that is up to them.  You might want to call up the schools ur applying for and ask, since u have a special circumstance.

Good luck, I hope that sorta helps....

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
I have a couple of degrees as well. They took the GPA for the B.A. The other degrees are just decorations and the GPA is ignored in the calculation, though of course, law schools will see them.

How many years do you have for your BA? 3 or 4?
Penn (2007)

ewiar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »
Certain schools will also drop the worst 25% of your marks when calculating GPA - I think Queen's... not sure which other ones.
LSAT: 178
GPA: 3.95
(Canadian)

costaragas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:34:45 PM »
Hey,

They take a few things into consideration when looking at your GPA. First off, they don't look at your cumulative, as much as they look at your last two years (as a general rule). But in the case of multiple degrees, I would think that your case is kind of special. I agree with the other person who said that they'll probably focus on the BA and leave the rest.

Second, the difficulty of your degree MATTERS. So a lot of this GPA stuff also depends on what you're studying. Are

And third, they don't take GPAs as raw numbers. Most convert them along with your LSAT score into an index.

Cheers,
Costa Ragas
Canadian Law School Admissions Web
http://www.clsaweb.com