Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I transfer to the day division?  (Read 505 times)

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How do I transfer to the day division?
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:22:45 PM »
I have been accepted into USD, still not my top choice, but I'm getting there i suppose. The thing is, USD accepted me into the evening division. I have no intention of working, and i detest night school, long nights at my undergrad have taught me to hate them. How do i go about transfering to the day/ fulltime division? Is it some piece of paperwork i fill out? Is it even possible? Is transfering to different divisions a common thing to do in lawschool?
USD Law grad

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: How do I transfer to the day division?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 03:58:23 AM »
From what I gather, moving to the day division is fairly common, but not during the first year. You'll probably have to apply for a transfer after your 1L.

Just get onto USD's website and find their student handbook...

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:56:04 AM »
Double-check to make sure you can transfer to the day division; I asked SMU about it the other day, and they said you can't transfer, but you may take day classes IF they are available and only after you've had four semesters of the PT courses.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 04:32:52 PM »
Don't worry about it. It's not based on anything, you just select to transfer and you do the extra 1L classes in the summer. You'll be a full time 2L just like everyone else.

Actually, if they offered you a day division waitlist spot you'll probably get off that list. I was on there for about 1-2 weeks before I got into day division. USD has been trying to boost numbers for years so they give tons of day spots/full scholarships to overqualified people who don't end up coming.

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »
Don't worry about it. It's not based on anything, you just select to transfer and you do the extra 1L classes in the summer. You'll be a full time 2L just like everyone else.

Actually, if they offered you a day division waitlist spot you'll probably get off that list. I was on there for about 1-2 weeks before I got into day division. USD has been trying to boost numbers for years so they give tons of day spots/full scholarships to overqualified people who don't end up coming.

thanks! is it possible for me to ask them to waitlist me for a day division spot now? and hopefully by the fall id would be fulltime if theres a spot available? from what i gather it sounds like i have to wait until im a 2L...
USD Law grad

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 02:36:52 PM »
It actually depends on the school. At my law school, people (including my roommate) just transferred from the part-time to full-time division after first semester, pending that their grades from 1st semester meet whatever the minimum requirements are. However, there was 1 piece of BS attached: he owes the school money now b/c they charge him as if he took a full course load last semester, even though he will have to pay extra later to make up that 1 class. Their rationale is that he is paying for the 'privilege' of being in the full-time program. It's total garbage & just a way to suck out more money. They didn't tell him about this before the school year started. I'd recommend looking into that beforehand.

From what I gather, moving to the day division is fairly common, but not during the first year. You'll probably have to apply for a transfer after your 1L.

Just get onto USD's website and find their student handbook...
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...