Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do African Americans want?  (Read 11429 times)

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do African Americans want?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 05:34:44 PM »
Ok I see what you mean now...well all you have to do is put some kind of revenue sharing principle in there, or add state funding to level out the disparities...The local funding formula is just another reason why people should want to invest in other people's kids: it raises their property values. Even so, it's not as simple as that when you add magnet programs and private schools into the mix..
Boalt 1L

misery

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 06:51:54 PM »
redemption: Very nice post, it's a rarity finding well reasoned arguments in this forum.  Are you an URM, or minority, even?

redemption

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »
redemption: Very nice post, it's a rarity finding well reasoned arguments in this forum.  Are you an URM, or minority, even?

Thanks. No, I'm not a URM.

Reasoned arguments are the only way out of the status quo and toward consensus and, hopefully, progress. there's been too little progress for too long.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »
Second the comment on redemption by the way...very well put!
Boalt 1L

Lionel A. Moore

• Provoke thought...not people & inequalities.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lionelamoore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 08:26:33 PM »
redemption I must argee with our colleagues, you are very literate, as well as, well spoken.

Redemption,

wasn't neighborhood schooling the same as the current, until we started busing children?
An open mind opens doors.

TinaTina

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - FlorentinaLSD@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »
OKay, to take that to an extreme et's say non-white Hispanics made up 1/2 of that 71%. That would still mean non-Hispanic whites accounted for 35.5 percent of the arrest, almost 10% more than African americans, thus refuting the implication made by the author of this thread that AA are responsible for most of the country's crime.

redemption

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »
OKay...to take that to an extreme...let's say non-white Hispanics made up 1/2 of that 71%...that would still mean non-Hispanic whites accounted for 35.5 percent of the arrest...almost 10% more than African americans...thus refuting the implication made by the author of this thread that AA are responsible for most of the country's crime.

this is pathetic

redemption

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 11:18:48 PM »

Look where the crime is, mostly black.  African Americans make up 13% of the population and what % of crime do you think that they commit?  Im not racist, I am well aware that there are degenerate white people too, I just want to live in an area where there are high class people.  These are just some thoughts.

Wow...if that ill-informed statement were an LSAT choice it'd be flagged for several "wrong-answer-type" attributes.  I'd say everyone has a fairly decent idea of where large populations of African-Americans can be found in this country.  So start by subtracting New York, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans, Baltimore, and relatively small sections of some of the other southern states and already your concept of blameworthiness for crimes committed in this country seems just a tad skewed.  This is a large country, are we to believe that with regards to the rest of the country, Native Americans/Pacific Islanders/Asian Americans - being as they consitute such a large percentage of the total population - are engaged in crime sprees that would push the level of crimes committed by non-white to the proportions you're implying.  Some facts:

Data from the 1998 UCR indicate that differential
rates of arrest for crime are related
to race (see Snyder, 1999). Arrests of white
juveniles (under age 18) constituted 71 percent
of all juvenile arrests compared with
26 percent for black youth. American Indian
or Alaska Native and Asian or Pacific
Islanders account for 1 and 2 percent, respectively
(Federal Bureau of Investigation,
1999). Black youth were overrepresented,
given the fact that they make up 15 percent
of the juvenile population compared with
79 percent white and 5 percent other races.

Now this data pertains to juveniles...but for the sake of argument let's assume, that every AA juvenile moves on to being an adult offender, there still is a virtual mathematical impossibilty that crime is "mostly Black"  Quite the opposite it would seem.  I now turn your attention to the section where it mentions that realtive to their numbers the percentage of crime committed by AA is very high but surely we can all agree that this is due to several complex causation factors none of which anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of the social sciences...and I'm no expert...would ascribe to black people being classless.

Keep in mind, however, that Hispanics are often counted in as white. 

[/quote]

and so is this

TinaTina

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - FlorentinaLSD@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 11:23:40 PM »
Wow!  That makes three in one day. Up until now I was willing to discount the homeless guy on the number 1 train who sneered at the paltry $.50 I proffered.

redemption

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 11:25:46 PM »
read my long-ass post below. You'll follow me then. This conversation that the 2 of you are having is embarrassing