Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do African Americans want?  (Read 11076 times)

redemption

Re: What do African Americans want?
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
I see your points and I agree.  I'm really in a financial bind and I'm trying to figure out a way I could get reparations.  What about my mormon ancestors who were persecuted by the Missouri state legislature who issued an extermination act which said it was legal to kick mormons off their land.  Do you think I'm entitled to reparations from the state of Missouri?  If you could be so kind to tell me if I have a case or not, I would appreciate it.  Please use italics to emphasize your point.  Thank you very much.

You are too young to be so bitter. Dead greeks are no substitute for common sense and decency.

societatmalehabitus

• Sr. Citizen
  • what am I supposed to do with all my good ideas?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2006, 09:35:44 PM »
My great great grandfather died fighting for the Union during the civil war, do you think I'm entitled to reparations?  I could really use the money.  Also, my ancestors were persecuted for being Irish in New York.  I think I'm entitled to reparations for that as well. 
Woe is me and unto a bitter world I see the hoplesseness of my own life.  Good lord, what a victim! 
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."

Wiseplato

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2006, 09:41:09 PM »
I think you calling me bitter can be interpretated in two ways:

a) That I'm bitter because of the way my mormon ancestors were treated.  Which it seems a little odd that someone who espouses the view that blacks should be given reparations because of past atrocities doesn't think that mormons should be given reparations for the past atrocities that were committed.

b) You are addressing my sarcastic undertone that blacks shouldn't be given reparations.

I feel that you called me bitter in the second sense, so I will discuss that interpretation.  If I am wrong please excuse the straw man.

I don't think the conditional statement that if you are young then you can't be bitter really holds. I think you called me bitter more because you feel that my bitterment is unwarranted.  I on the other hand believe that my "bitterment" is warranted.  But obviously this argument (as i have recently found out) has been beaten to death on LSD.  One more thing, I don't appreciate the vindictive nature of your posts.  I understand that this isn't a formal setting and you don't have to be professional, but when you make a good point I don't think you should add "sheesh" at the end.  It just comes off as very hurtful.  I'm a very sensitive guy.  I thought your point could stand up for itself, and doesn't need emotives.  Thanks for your comments though.  They help me to think and evaluate my position on certain topics.  If I am wrong I love to be shown otherwise, so that I don't walk in falsity.  

redemption

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »
I think you calling me bitter can be interpretated in two ways:

a) That I'm bitter because of the way my mormon ancestors were treated.  Which it seems a little odd that someone who espouses the view that blacks should be given reparations because of past atrocities doesn't think that mormons should be given reparations for the past atrocities that were committed.

b) You are addressing my sarcastic undertone that blacks shouldn't be given reparations.

I feel that you called me bitter in the second sense, so I will discuss that interpretation.  If I am wrong please excuse the straw man.

I don't think the conditional statement that if you are young then you can't be bitter really holds. I think you called me bitter more because you feel that my bitterment is unwarranted.  I on the other hand believe that my "bitterment" is warranted.  But obviously this argument (as i have recently found out) has been beaten to death on LSD.  One more thing, I don't appreciate the vindictive nature of your posts.  I understand that this isn't a formal setting and you don't have to be professional, but when you make a good point I don't think you should add "sheesh" at the end.  It just comes off as very hurtful.  I'm a very sensitive guy.  I thought your point could stand up for itself, and doesn't need emotives.  Thanks for your comments though.  They help me to think and evaluate my position on certain topics.  If I am wrong I love to be shown otherwise, so that I don't walk in falsity.  

Well, if you're being sincere - and for what it's worth I think you are - I regret that I came off as condescending. I read your analogy as mocking African Americans via reparations and there's already been far far too much of that on this board and in life generally.

For what it's worth I myself am strongly against reparations, and maybe we can come back to that issue at some point.  :)

Wiseplato

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »
I agree... Smiley face.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2006, 09:05:49 AM »
yawnnnnn

Hey Redemption btw, I didn't realize that was you.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

kdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2006, 01:29:57 PM »
Who decided to free the slaves?  Was that black people or white people? 

redemption

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
Are you back, troll? Feeling inadequate again?

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »
He's not a troll; but he did not think that comment through well.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

redemption

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »
Yes he is; check his back-posts.