Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 15078 times)

Hansel

• View Profile
Re: Harvard Rejection
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 07:14:53 PM »
Just got my ding in the mail today.  I figured it would happen, I just wish it wouldn't have happened this early.

chombi3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 08:29:45 PM »
Just got my ding in the mail today.  I figured it would happen, I just wish it wouldn't have happened this early.

sorry to hear, hansel...mind sharing your stats?
Crazy For You: georgetown, NYU, penn ($$$), UVA, chicago, columbia, harvard!!
Rejection Is The Greatest Aphrodisiac: Stanford
Justify My Love: yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chombi3

Hansel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 10:19:56 PM »

LSAT 169, GPA >3.9

faultytowers

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »

LSAT 169, GPA >3.9

holy moly!

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 01:21:19 AM »
Dude, that's just...dude.

You'd think that since 25% of Harvard has LSATs below 170, and not all of them can be URMs, then the ones who are getting in have ridiculously high GPAs...sheesh.

Dude.

He's one applicant.  To the casual observer, it seems like you're automatically assuming he didn't get in because of his LSAT score when in fact (no offense to him because this might not be the case) maybe he didn't get in because of his PS, LORs, lack of soft factors, etc, etc, etc.

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2006, 01:38:25 AM »
Numbers are the most important factor when applying to law school.  This surely isn't a revelation to anyone on this board.  High numbers are an almost surefire way to get into most top schools.  This, also, is not a revelation to anyone on this board.

I think it's kind of silly to assume, however, that they are the one and only way to get into top schools... are the majority of admits at these schools applicants with high numbers?  Yes, duh... we've known this all along.  Does that mean that nobody without high numbers gets in?  Not necessarily

Just because HLS rejected one 169 / 3.9 applicant does not mean they won't accept several others with identical numbers

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2006, 01:57:09 AM »
Numbers are the most important factor when applying to law school.  This surely isn't a revelation to anyone on this board.  High numbers are an almost surefire way to get into most top schools.  This, also, is not a revelation to anyone on this board.

I think it's kind of silly to assume, however, that they are the one and only way to get into top schools... are the majority of admits at these schools applicants with high numbers?  Yes, duh... we've known this all along.  Does that mean that nobody without high numbers gets in?  Not necessarily

Just because HLS rejected one 169 / 3.9 applicant does not mean they won't accept several others with identical numbers

true- but good luck with a 155/3.1

there is a certain cutoff- i dont care how many times you have saved the world, if you dont have very good numbers you will not touch HYS

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2006, 01:59:33 AM »

I'm not doubting that.  But if you look at what their soft factors are, they tend to be pretty quantifiable. 

I'm not exactly sure what your point is.  (I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, I'm just kind of drunk and I don't really get it)

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2006, 02:14:14 AM »
HLS sure gets a lot of hate on this board

Hansel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2006, 02:17:07 AM »

He's one applicant.  To the casual observer, it seems like you're automatically assuming he didn't get in because of his LSAT score when in fact (no offense to him because this might not be the case) maybe he didn't get in because of his PS, LORs, lack of soft factors, etc, etc, etc.

Possibly.  But the more I hang out around here and follow LSN, the more convinced I am that it's a numbers game.

Hell, if anyone had ever bothered to read my PS I would have been auto-ding everywhere, especially NYU.

I'm sure some people with my numbers will get in, but all in all, I agree with Lily's assertion that it is mostly a numbers game.  I had good to great LORs, and very good soft factors....but then again I think everyone who applies to HYS has these.  It is possible that they didn't like my personal statement, but I think it was mostly my LSAT working against me.   Oh well, ce la vie... time to move on and embrace the schools that already love me.