Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So. Cal placement - UCLA vs. UVa, UMich, etc.  (Read 823 times)

knoroozi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So. Cal placement - UCLA vs. UVa, UMich, etc.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 07:28:10 PM »
Clever.  Just the kind of wit I'd expect from a fellow Bear.  What is a 3.8 from the Farm worth if the lowest possible grade is a C?!  We're hijacking this thread though.

Jigglyflan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:32:23 PM »
I'm in south cal and when I tell people I'll be going to UMich for law school, they don't seem to know what it is! Most of the attorneys and law students I have told merely nod their head (and not in an impressed manner either). Not that it matters, but it's just annoying that people don't seem to know how good UMich is aroud here.  ???

judicialreview

• 1L at LLS
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lostintime95
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 11:06:44 PM »
If you do well at any of those 3 schools, then SoCal will not be a problem, I'd assume.  UCLA will give you more wiggle room, in the sense that just because of where it is, I'd assume for SoCal employers interview there.

Go ahead and try to find out how many CA and specifically SoCal employers recruit at UVA and UMich

Karl Pilkington

• Sr. Citizen
  • Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 01:47:19 PM »
If you do well at any of those 3 schools, then SoCal will not be a problem, I'd assume.  UCLA will give you more wiggle room, in the sense that just because of where it is, I'd assume for SoCal employers interview there.

Go ahead and try to find out how many CA and specifically SoCal employers recruit at UVA and UMich

Quite a few CA firms do OCI at Michigan and UVa (126 and 101, respectively), and 50+ SoCal firms interview at each school. From what I can tell, firms probably go a little deeper into the classes at Mich and UVa than they do at UCLA. On the other hand, it's nearly impossible to get a CA clerkship coming from those two schools, whereas if you are in the top 10% or so at UCLA, you can get one no problem. (I have a friend who is in the top 20% at Michigan, has a job lined up at a Vault 25 firm in L.A., but can't get a clerkship anywhere in Cali to save their life).