Poll

Author Topic: ?  (Read 1081 times)

BassDesire

?
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:50:29 AM »

lovelovelovenyc

Re: Should I withdraw from Stanford?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:52:01 AM »

Note: I know that S is known for relative stinginess and that this is unlikely anyway.

If this is true, I say withdraw.  Although I know nothing of Stanford's finaid.

Outofcollege

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:48:21 AM »
Bass,

If you know you're not going, withdraw. You won't be able to get more money out of H/Y with Stanford. H/Y doesn't need to convince you to attend. (Toby might try with tshirts and phone calls, but he probably won't offer more money to a non-URM.) Stanford doesn't dangle money. Your spot will go to someone else eventually, might as well just hurry up the process for someone else. If you do think you'll attend Stanford or Penn, don't withdraw.

J

postal007

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:58:13 PM »
Withdraw and tell them to give your spot to me! =)

In all seriousness, I'm not sure how much $ Stanford gives out.  I'm inclined to believe that HY might listen to money offers, but then again, they are H and Y.  I think either way, all three schools should give you similar aid packages, although some schools might have better private loan options/etc.  If you are low income, then some schools might have better grants, or if you want to do PI, then LRAP programs might come into play.  I would research a little bit, and see, but I don't see Stanford throwing you a lot more $ than H and Y unless they have significantly different finaid policies (which I don't believe they do).

badmammajamma

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »
Help me out here: Why do people withdraw at all? Just for the altruist reason of giving someone else the spot--or do you get some of your app money back or something? What is the advantage of withdrawing? I'd like to know, because I'll withdraw from basically everywhere if there is an advantage to doing so.
Yale Class of 2009

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »
Withdraw and tell them to give your spot to me! =)

Imagine if you could withdraw and designate somebody to take your spot? Wouldn't that be hot?  :(

faultytowers

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »
VERY hott.

snikrep

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
I'd say withdraw - everything we have heard is that Stanford is ultra-stingy in their aid packages, especially comapred to H/Y, so you won't really be gaining much.

If you withdraw, I will set your LSN profile to refresh every 10 seconds, which will give you the highest-viewed LSN account within a few days, is that enough motivation? :P

UseYourHead

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 04:20:23 PM »
I wouldn't withdraw if I were you.

The question you need to ask is: "What do I have to gain by withdrawing?" There is nothing to gain--and asking a bunch of paranoid law school applicants who want your spot is probably not the way to come to a decision (I look foward to the abuse I take for this comment--which I won't read and wouldn't care about anyway).

For all you know, you'll meet the love of your life, who happens to live in SF, or you might have a change of heart over the next four months. You've paid the app fee--why not stick it out?

orlando jackson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 07:45:55 PM »
yeah, go bears.  but seriously, if accepted i would be hard pressed not to take stanford unless i had an acceptance from H waiting for me.

if you're sure you don't want the spot, it would be very generous of you to help out those who do want it by withdrawing.  this thread has actually inspired me to withdraw from W+M and Gtown tomarrow.