Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have to list my parent's info on the FAFSA?  (Read 1442 times)

audi20V

• View Profile
Do I have to list my parent's info on the FAFSA?
« on: January 11, 2006, 08:24:26 PM »
It says that I'm an independent and don't have to, but should if any schools require it. Do any schools require it? I haven't listed it, and figure the schools will just contact me if they need it. Am I right here?

Thanks.

Goodfella Aaron

Re: Do I have to list my parent's info on the FAFSA?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 08:32:04 PM »
In general, schools require it to apply for need-based aid by asking you to fill out the NeedAccess form.

audi20V

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »
How do I know if I need to fill out NeedAccess? Will the school send me a letter once it receives my FAFSA? My question is if I need to include my parent's info on the FAFSA form, which I am about to send.

tanner9585

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:33:43 PM »
No, your parents' income information does not need to be on the FAFSA.  Check on the school's financial aid website in order to see if you need to fill out Need Access.

audi20V

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »
Ok, so what you're saying is that NO school requires the parental information? On the section of the FAFSA online applcation where it tells me I'm an independent, it says that I don't need to complete the parent section unless the school specifically requires it. Not all of the schools that I applied to require NeedAccess.org, so I'm a little confused (what about the schools that didn't require NeedAccess.org, do they just not care about my parents' info?).

Thanks.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 11:51:48 PM »
Most schools are usually very specific about whether you need to include parental information, and from what I've seen, almost all that do require it have a school-specific form to fill out, ask you to go to NeedAccess.org, or have you go to the College Board site.  There aren't too many schools listed on NeedAccess.org, so you can easily scroll through the list to see which schools are there. I'm guessing if you don't fill out the required supplementary forms, the school will just assume that you are not interested in any need-based aid.

Outofcollege

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:42:04 AM »
My father makes enough money to kiss need-based aid goodbye. But he's not paying for law school--at all--because he paid for undergrad. Plus, I'm an adult no longer living on his dollar.

Has the system screwed me? How can I get around it?

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:03:48 AM »
Really, it depends on how long you've been out of school.

Part of why I'm not planning on tossing an app at Duke just for fun is because of their requiring parental information. Sorry. I'm 32. My parents are retired. They make/made a ton of money and paid for my undergrad. They're not going to pay for law school, and I won't ask them to now. (They'd probably front me a seat deposit, but that's the most I'd ask of them.)
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

stressedout

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:58:52 AM »
sorry to hijack this thread, but have you all completed your 2005 taxes in order to complete your FAFSA? similarly, do we use our parent's 2004 or 2005 numbers for need access? (my parents wont do their 2005  taxes for a while as they're out of the country) i'm lazy when it comes to taxes and can't bring myself to do them, but i need to apply for some financial aid...

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »
So if I'm filling out Need Access anyway, it won't hurt me if I go ahead and fill in the parental info on FAFSA, right?  I feel like at least one of my schools requires me to fill their info in (of course, I can't remember which one at the moment), so I went ahead and filled it out to cover all my bases.

I mean, I'm a full-time college student and made a measley $6,700 last year - I really doubt that putting their $45k combined income on there will hurt me in the financial aid process, right?