Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Downward trend in GPA  (Read 798 times)

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
Downward trend in GPA
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:05:33 AM »
In my senior year my GPA is almost a full point lower that it was in previous years owing to the fact that I had to take a second part time job.  How much will this hurt me (gpa went from 3.8 to 3.5 in a year), and is it worth explaining why in an adendum?

thinknpositive

Re: Downward trend in GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 10:06:12 AM »
In my senior year my GPA is almost a full point lower that it was in previous years owing to the fact that I had to take a second part time job.  How much will this hurt me (gpa went from 3.8 to 3.5 in a year), and is it worth explaining why in an adendum?

It's definitely worth explaining.

buster

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 10:07:33 AM »
Assuming the reason is compelling, I would say yes, definitely. As for how much it will hurt you, I think that depends on where you're applying, you're LSAT, etc.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 10:32:51 AM »
Assuming the reason is compelling, I would say yes, definitely. As for how much it will hurt you, I think that depends on where you're applying, you're LSAT, etc.

I got a 175 on the LSAT, and I'd really like to get into Chicago. I'm applying to Penn, Michigan, and the other usual suspects.  I've been out of school for about 5 years doing some pretty interesting stuff, which I hope will help.

I'm not too stressed about my final gpa.  3.5 isn't excellent, but it shouldn't remove me from consideration at Chicago.  I'm worried that the bad Senior year will be looked at unfavorably by adcomms who seem to like people who might have stumbled in the beginning but finished strong...

buster

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 10:37:37 AM »
I assumed from the original question that you had just finished undergraduate. I think with five years distance it matters a lot less -- I don't know that I would say not to write the addendum, but I think it will be less of a factor either way. Actually, having written that, I wonder if it might draw attention to the downward trend whereas otherwise they may not even have noticed.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 10:45:18 AM »
I think with five years distance it matters a lot less

I wondered about that myself... Do you know what the whole applications game looks like for someone who's been out of school for awhile.  How important, for instance, are academic letters of recommendation?

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 11:38:20 AM »
Its my understanding that adcomms understand that someone who's been out of school for a while would have a hard time getting an academic recommendation.  They'd probably be impressed if you staying in touch with a professor enough to get one, but they realize the realities of being in the work world for a while.  A recommendation from a boss or supervisor would probably be preferred anyway, since they know more of who you are now, as opposed to who you were five years ago.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC