Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $150,000 Question  (Read 915 times)

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
$150,000 Question
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:58:57 AM »
Applications are done, acceptances have started coming in...now the big question: Can I afford to go to the schools that have accepted me. These schools have estimated total costs of around $150,000. I can't see how I could possibly afford to borrow that total amount. Does anyone have any information about how likely schools are to give need based aid? Do top schools typically have an attitude of: If you aren't dirt poor suck it up and borrow $150 grand?

The trouble is that I have a pretty good job now (normal middle-class salary) and don't support anyone besides myself. Obviously, once I quit to attend law school I'll all of a sudden have a salary of $0. Will law schools expect me to have saved tons of money each year? Will they factor my aid as if I was going to continue to make my salary after starting law school?

Just a little concerned I won't be able to afford to go, which would really, REALLY stink....
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

vitaminwater

Re: $150,000 Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 01:19:29 AM »
why do you wanna go?
sound like you are making excuses.

either go and be broke, or live comfortably and don't go.
sound like its one or the other for you.

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 02:00:36 AM »
Applications are done, acceptances have started coming in...now the big question: Can I afford to go to the schools that have accepted me. These schools have estimated total costs of around $150,000. I can't see how I could possibly afford to borrow that total amount. Does anyone have any information about how likely schools are to give need based aid? Do top schools typically have an attitude of: If you aren't dirt poor suck it up and borrow $150 grand?

The trouble is that I have a pretty good job now (normal middle-class salary) and don't support anyone besides myself. Obviously, once I quit to attend law school I'll all of a sudden have a salary of $0. Will law schools expect me to have saved tons of money each year? Will they factor my aid as if I was going to continue to make my salary after starting law school?

Just a little concerned I won't be able to afford to go, which would really, REALLY stink....

refer to: http://xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=326706&mc=18&forum_id=2

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 03:27:11 AM »
Thanks for the link.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009