Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My interview with NU = So/So  (Read 587 times)

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My interview with NU = So/So
« on: January 10, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »
ded

vitaminwater

Re: My interview with NU = So/So
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:07:38 PM »
sorry to hear that. :-[

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:10:14 PM »
Well, that blows--did it at all dampen your enthusiasm for Northwestern?

(oh, quick note, numbers twin: I sent most of my apps in around Christmas-time, so we'll have to commiserate as we wait for decisions)

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:39:42 PM »
Don't let the interviewer reflect too much on your decision.  Given the fact that they interview every single one of their applicants, there are going to be serious inconsistencies between personalities.  We are evaluating NU as an intitution after all - and the truth is that 1 meeting with an unpleasant person should not be representative of the entire institution.  Now if we go to admitted students weekend and everyone is a jerk - thats a different story.  My two cents.

yeah, i agree.  The students I observed appeared to be normal, healthy law students.  They even had a movie screen setup to view the Alito proceedings. I remarked that I saw a professor chatting it up with the students, and she did not even respond to that with a typical comment like "yeah that happens all the time, its so great to go school here (which is what I wanted to hear...)"

vitaminwater

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:12:12 PM »
do you think that the interviewer has a hand in the admissions decisons?

i mean, that would be bad if you did not enjoy your interview. kind of like a pot luck thing.

steven90

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 11:18:56 PM »
i bet northwestern doesn't weight the interview too heavily. i don't think they can afford to can they?

thescreed

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »
Forgive me if I missed something, lightessenz, but did you interview with an admissions officer?

I can't help but think that the admissions people are getting pretty tired of doing interviews at this point, whereas those of us who did it off campus probably met with people who do a half-dozen or so during the entire year.  Between all the interviews they've already done and dealing with phone calls from hundreds of anxious applicants, it's probably hard to maintain enthusiasm.

If you interviewed with a CPA in early April, you'd get the same thing. Don't take it personally or assume it will impact your chances.  Good luck!

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 11:58:43 PM »
I can't help but think that the admissions people are getting pretty tired of doing interviews at this point, whereas those of us who did it off campus probably met with people who do a half-dozen or so during the entire year.  Between all the interviews they've already done and dealing with phone calls from hundreds of anxious applicants, it's probably hard to maintain enthusiasm.

If you interviewed with a CPA in early April, you'd get the same thing. Don't take it personally or assume it will impact your chances.  Good luck!

Yes, I interviewed today with a NU admissions officer.  You're probably right about being fatigued of interviews.

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 02:06:44 AM »
i interviewed w/ a DC-area alum recently...didn't get a good impression, decided not to use my fee-waiver. 

knoroozi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 02:15:05 AM »
I interviewed with an in-house attorney here in Orange County.  We expected the interview to last about 20 to 30 mins, instead it took over 2 hours!  We had a lot to say and she reflected fondly on her NU experience, though she was different than most because she was married with a baby at the time and wasn't too keen on another Chicago winter so she spent her 3L here in So Cal at a local law school.  She said the people there were very friendly and very intelligent and that she missed the great conversations they used to have each day at breakfast in the lounge.  That made me really look forward to LS.  I am really happy I got into NU because I love the location.  I am looking forward to getting into some of my other choices but I am almost certain that I will consider Northwestern for a while, especially if money is offered, and I think I will attend the admitted students' weekend.  From my research, Northwestern is a great school with some really interesting students who are the most laid back of any t-14 and who can probably give a lot of wisdom to younger students with little to no work experience.  Plus, the location is amazing.  Being in the most exclusive part of Chicago for law school is quite enticing (I love you U Chicago, please don't take this post as a slight to your magnificent Gothic campus!).