Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:24 AM »
It doesn't seem to be working for the people on this board, at least :).

Yeah... The blog is great and all, and talking to Toby was quite persuasive.  I feel a lot better about HLS now than I did when I applied, but I think it influenced me more in the direction of possibly picking HLS over NYU or BU w/ $$, and less in the direction of picking HLS over YLS if given the opportunity.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »
Alci,

Didn't too many people come to yale this year? Is yale accepting as many people in their first year class as they normally do?

Hm, I think at final count, only 1 or 2 more actually enrolled this year than last year.  Lots deferred, though.  So I would imagine they're not accepting as many, but I haven't heard anything official.  We'll see how the waitlists turn out this year.

Hey guys, I'm late to the Yale Obsession thread, but here's some useful info.  I asked this very question at an online chat back in November.  An admissions officer (can't remember if it happened to be Megan) confirmed that they would admit the same amount they normally do because each year they find that incoming deferrals tend to match the amount from the previous year.

I'm not going to contradict Megan...but admissions people aren't exactly known for their directness ;)

asdf1234

• first person to guess the correct city WINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2006, 03:22:33 PM »
I have made a promise to not spend much (if any) time on LSD this semester (although I'll go to a meet up with other LSD admits at the school I attend of course!) but I am killing time at the library waiting for a friend and, well, am Yale obsessed, so I figured I would cheat on my resolution a little...

I am a Penn student too, and it seems what Lily says is (mostly) right:

http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/gradprof/law/law_stats.htm#03

Of the past 8 admits to Yale, only 2 accepted.  Stanford seems to do reasonably well, but took a hit last year.  It seems that Penn students are name whores and love the prospect of dropping the H-bomb.  Maybe its because we have a little chip on our shoulder from everyone assuming we go to Penn State all the time.

This worries me... maybe Yale will be less likely to accept me because the expected yield would be lower?? *waaaaaaaaa*  I think I should send them an application update with a drawing of me at Yale with a bunch of hearts and happy faces and smilies on it and promise I will attend...

Also, Huntsman people get scholarships????  I never knew this!  Damn!!  I was so clueless applying to undergrad!! (I also failed to realize that there would be a huge prestige gap between HYP and everywhere else).

EDIT: it says this is my first post because I deleted the last account (part of my new years resolution sweep) : )

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2006, 06:20:32 PM »
I know I should stop obsessing.

But I can't, so I'm bumping instead.

Anybody have any cures for obsession?  A nice metaphorical bucket of icewater?  Anything?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2006, 06:26:40 PM »
I know I should stop obsessing.

But I can't, so I'm bumping instead.

Anybody have any cures for obsession?  A nice metaphorical bucket of icewater?  Anything?

Firefly.  Oh, wait, that's just swapping. :-\

:D  I watched Serenity yesterday.  And, yeah, I have a bizarre and somewhat disturbing obsession with Malcolm Reynolds.  But sadly, I'm perfectly capable of maintaining two, and often more, fullblown obsessions at once.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2006, 06:50:47 PM »

there is no cure for obsession, just temporary relief.

There is a cure.  I expect mine to come in a thin envelope in a couple of weeks.

But until then....

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »
we should all start worshiping curly and hope her awesomeness rubs off on us.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »

We should.  It beats my current strategy of getting depressed that they rejected me before they actually reject me.   :D

snikrep

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »
Yale's job is to keep all the Harvard admits miserable.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2006, 12:43:44 PM »

We should.  It beats my current strategy of getting depressed that they rejected me before they actually reject me.   :D

Yea. What is worse is everyone telling you that you'll DEFINITELY get in and why are you worried about it, as if your grandmother gets to make the admissions decisions. Admission to YLS is practically a lottery.

I wish my grandmother got to make admissions decisions....man I'd be set.... :P ;D ;)