Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yale Obsession  (Read 116707 times)

danvichgs

• View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #1440 on: January 30, 2007, 10:49:11 PM »
Mmm, I'd say more like 40% max. The total number of acceptances is very low so far compared to where they were this time last year (around 30 or so), and the total number of apps isn't proportionally that far off.

Admittedly, some people probably just post acceptances later on in the year on LSN way after finding out, but still. It seems like Yale is going a lot slower than in prior cycles.

Senator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 30, 2007, 10:58:25 PM »
Mmm, I'd say more like 40% max. The total number of acceptances is very low so far compared to where they were this time last year (around 30 or so), and the total number of apps isn't proportionally that far off.

Admittedly, some people probably just post acceptances later on in the year on LSN way after finding out, but still. It seems like Yale is going a lot slower than in prior cycles.

I really hope this is the case!  ;D

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 31, 2007, 02:07:54 AM »
This is from top-law-schools.com:
Of the over 4,000 applications that are received, about 90 of the top applicants are sent on for final review by the Faculty Admissions Committee chair (essentially a "free ride" to admission). The rest of the hopefuls are divided into two groups, with some 800-1,000 applications separated for consideration in the "first round." These applicants are reviewed by three randomly chosen faculty members, who score each application from 2 to 4. It was reported in 1999 that each of the first two faculty readers receives 80 applicants, giving a 4 to the top quarter, 3 to the second quarter, and 2 to the bottom half. If two faculty members give consecutive 2s, an applicant is rejected; the remaining files go on to a third member of the faculty, who scores 2-4 equally. A score of 12 is guaranteed admission (and the vast majority of 11s as well) while the remainder go into further review.
Could it be that they've only offered spots to the first set at this point?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 31, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »
This is from top-law-schools.com...

I just want to make a quick point, which I cannot stress enough:

DO NOT READ TOP-LAW-SCHOOLS.COM!!!

Why?  Because it is a terrible site filled with incredible misinformation.  It’s almost a joke.  First of all, the profiles provided include Santa Clara but not Georgetown (?!).  Second, the information is terrible. A lot of it is factually incorrect, and the advice is often terrible.

I don’t have the time or energy to go through fact for fact, but here’s what I can tell based on a cursory reading of the HLS profile:

1.   The first picture ISN’T EVEN A PICTURE OF THE LAW SCHOOL!  That’s right, there is no such building on the law campus.  Looks like Widener library to me, which is nowhere near HLS.  Also, the 4th picture is not of HLS either.

2.   Fair share of gunners?  Sounds like someone who has no experience in an HLS classroom.  We have few (none of the class gunners in my section).

3.   Tuition is not approaching 35K.  It’s more like 37K.

4.   HLS has much less of a “black box” reputation when it comes to admissions.  This is not a selling point, just a fact.

5.   HLS is more corporate leaning?  Well, yea, compared to Yale.  But let’s be clear. There are more law professors from HLS than from any other school, and lots of students do public interest and government.  We are significantly less corporate than, say, Columbia.

6.   amongst is a terrible word.  I hate it.

7.   Students do not have a hard time taking classes from Dersh, Tribe, and Fried.  I have Fried this semester for contracts, and he is also teaching conlaw (so a total of about 180 students: in ONE SEMESTER!).  Dersh regularly teaches 1st year crim (like every year), so about 1/7 of the school will automatically have him.  He also teaches other classes (this semester “Thinking about taboo subjects”), and he is not so popular that it’s impossible to get into his classes.  Tribe I have less exposure to, but he doesn’t get special privileges: he has to carry a normal teaching load.  In short, it may be hard to get a research assistant position with these people or become their best friends, but they are tremendously accessible.  This is just absurd.

8.   HLS has well over 1500 students.

9.   We don’t have 14 “law reviews”: that’s a stupid thing to say (sounds like it’s written by someone who never attended a law school).  We have a bunch of journals, and one “law review.”  The terminology distinction makes a difference.

10.   The quality of life section is unimpressive, but I won’t quibble other than to reiterate the gunner point above.  It’s also stupid to think your debt load will be much worse than at, say, Stanford or Columbia.

11.   Hemenway gym is not exclusively for law students.  Any Harvard-affiliated person can use it, including faculty and college students.

12.   Sections are 79/80, not 70 students.

13.   “Very few students fail classes” This is a joke.  People don’t fail.  Very few, if any students, get any kind of a C.  I know for a fact, for example, that no one got lower than a B- in my civpro class.

I could go on, but you get the point.

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 31, 2007, 05:56:12 PM »
Haha I didn't know a damned thing about that site. That was what came up on google when I looked up Yale Law admissions. I wonder if any of what they said about the process is true. If it is, it could still explain a lot about how many spots are left, etc. That's an impressive list of misinformation though.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
Haha I didn't know a damned thing about that site. That was what came up on google when I looked up Yale Law admissions. I wonder if any of what they said about the process is true. If it is, it could still explain a lot about how many spots are left, etc. That's an impressive list of misinformation though.

Your quote isn't bad.  I don't know the stats, but that's the process.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 31, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »

This information is available on the Yale website directly.
Yale.Law.School.2010

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 31, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »
I would have thought that the unlikeliness of having Dershowitz as a prof would be a selling point.
Columbia 2L.

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 31, 2007, 06:03:58 PM »
It's on the site? I am so bad at finding these things. I'm going to crawl into a hole now.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 31, 2007, 06:04:35 PM »
I would have thought that the unlikeliness of having Dershowitz as a prof would be a selling point.

Not for me.  I'd love to have him for crimlaw.  I'm going to see if i can have this arranged by being assigned to whatever section gets him as their 1L crimlaw prof.  Though I'm sure this is impossible.
Yale.Law.School.2010