Yale Obsession

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #890 on: March 25, 2006, 08:04:21 AM »
To quote from the Yale website FAQs:

"When are decisions made?

The bulk of our decisions go out from mid-March to mid-April. Our goal is to have all decisions made by April 15."

We are thus now only one third of the way into the period when the "bulk of decisions" will go out. Why are people assuming it is slower this year? It seems to me they are right on plan. If no one has still heard by April 15, then people can start complaining.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 25, 2006, 08:06:43 AM »

The bulk of our decisions go out from mid-March to mid-April. Our goal is to have all decisions made by April 15."

We are thus now only one third of the way into the period when the "bulk of decisions" will go out. Why are people assuming it is slower this year? It seems to me they are right on plan. If no one has still heard by April 15, then people can start complaining.

I think the main thing people are complaining about is not that Yale is slower this year than Yale usually is, but that Yale is always slower than most comparable schools are.

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 25, 2006, 08:09:04 AM »

Unfortunately since they have started putting people on the waitlist it is safe to assume that the majority of the decisions that will be given out from this point on will be rejections.  Why would they bother creating a waitlist already if the class wasn't basically full?  

Also, red seems to be a bit of a female dog, and I doubt she functions well in the real world.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 25, 2006, 08:10:32 AM »
1. Implicit in my post was the rejection of the rejection of rationality.
2. Exactly.  The school that let you in first is a totally trivial and irrelevant consideration.  Just as there are real differences between GULC and YHS, there are very real differences between Y, H, and S (not making a value judgment on those differences).  Why turn down a school that might be a better fit just because of the arbitrary factor of its admissions process?  Seems stupid (forget irrational) to me.

The problem is that we're speaking at cross purposes.  Of course the school that let you in first is a totally trivial and irrelevant consideration when you're lining up every detail, examining each one, and totalling the pluses and minuses for each school.  Give us a little credit; you know we're not that stupid (obviously moron trolls are never part of any "we" I'd refer to).

My point is that that method isn't for me, because I honestly don't think there are enough concrete pluses and minuses, given the huge number of, as our esteemed secretary of defense might say, "unknown unknowables."   The fact is that, once you get to talking about schools that offer outstanding educations, good public interest career support (both fiscally and through advising and opportunities), and excellent career prospects in every field I'm interested in, there just aren't any differences that seem logically big enough to base my decision on. 

So I'm going to go with my gut, and the more I wait the more I'm exposed to positive ideas, opinions, and experiences about Harvard, and the less I'm exposed to such things about Yale.  You'll never find a post where I say I'm rejecting Yale out of hand, nor has anyone else said such a thing to the best of my recollection, but I am saying that my general feeling has been trending more and more towards Harvard.

If you still think it's stupid, well, we probably won't be going to school together, so happily you'll be spared my idiocy.

Lol.  I don't think you're stupid.  I was speaking in general terms about the phenomenon.  Equally interesting is the about-face that usually occurs once people get into a school that they had all but written off.  So subconsciouly, people recognize that making a decision based off of the admissions process is stupid.  But dissonance reduction allows them to rationalize it until (or after, in the case of a rejection) that point.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 25, 2006, 08:13:57 AM »
Lol.  I don't think you're stupid.  I was speaking in general terms about the phenomenon.  Equally interesting is the about-face that usually occurs once people get into a school that they had all but written off.  So subconsciouly, people recognize that making a decision based off of the admissions process is stupid.  But dissonance reduction allows them to rationalize it until (or after, in the case of a rejection) that point.

I agree that that's entirely probable.  If I got admitted to Yale, visited, and got a good feeling, obviously I'd go.  But my feeling about it is low now, and my feeling about Harvard is very good, so when Yale dings me, I'm just going to feel relief.

I wish I thought I definitely wouldn't go to Yale if they let me in.  If I thought that I could withdraw and settle into Cambridge, which is what I'd very much like to do right now.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 25, 2006, 08:17:07 AM »

Unfortunately since they have started putting people on the waitlist it is safe to assume that the majority of the decisions that will be given out from this point on will be rejections.  Why would they bother creating a waitlist already if the class wasn't basically full? 

First off, it is safe to assume that the majority of decisions that are ever given out from Yale are rejections. We all knew we were playing Russian roulette by applying and yet we still did.

Second, they have a formula that helps to determine whether someone gets the waitlist or the admit. Putting someone on the waitlist does not mean they have filled up their class. They are just slowly cycling through the apps, admitting some, rejecting most, and waitlisting some.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 25, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »
Unfortunately since they have started putting people on the waitlist it is safe to assume that the majority of the decisions that will be given out from this point on will be rejections.  Why would they bother creating a waitlist already if the class wasn't basically full? 

Also, red seems to be a bit of a female dog, and I doubt she functions well in the real world.

I'm not sure if you know thus, but the majority of decisions from Yale given from any point on are rejections.  ;)

Alci said that 10's in faculty review get WLed, so presumably if you are reviewed after people who are WLed and get a 12 you'll still get in, and if an 11 you'll also probably get in.

cyberrev

« Reply #897 on: March 25, 2006, 08:20:38 AM »

I'm not sure if you know thus, but the majority of decisions from Yale given from any point on are rejections.  ;)

Alci said that 10's in faculty review get WLed, so presumably if you are reviewed after people who are WLed and get a 12 you'll still get in, and if an 11 you'll also probably get in.

i was laboring under the belief that not all applications get faculty review.  is this correct?  some of the dings seemed to just fly out of there; unless those particular faculty members just cranked them out as quickly as possible....

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 25, 2006, 08:20:51 AM »
I may have to sue the Dread Yale College for plagiarism. You copied me!!

redemption

« Reply #899 on: March 25, 2006, 08:36:59 AM »

Aww. That's sweet.  ;)