Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

habeas dorkus!

• A retired queen of hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #820 on: March 23, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »
I can't believe JPhil got waitlisted.

Its all your fault, too many people deferring last year :)

Oh crap. Kill self now? Maybe they'll give you my spot.

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 23, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »

I think I'll send in my grades from this year and another recommendation, but I think I'm basically screwed at this point.  Unless Toby actually manages to pull a bunch of Yale admits to Harvard....

habeas dorkus!

• A retired queen of hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 23, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

I think I'll send in my grades from this year and another recommendation, but I think I'm basically screwed at this point.  Unless Toby actually manages to pull a bunch of Yale admits to Harvard....

Maybe they're putting more on the WL this year because of the incredibly high yield last year, and will admit more off the WL once Toby steals a couple dozen.

LAS

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 23, 2006, 01:54:56 PM »
Hi. I am thinking of calling Yale and see what the status is on my application. I sent my application 11/21/05  . I'm worried they may have sent me a rejection that got lost in the mail, and now I'm holding out for nothing.

Thoughts?

cyberrev

« Reply #824 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56:43 PM »
Hi. I am thinking of calling Yale and see what the status is on my application. I sent my application 11/21/05  . I'm worried they may have sent me a rejection that got lost in the mail, and now I'm holding out for nothing.

Thoughts?

not me, i'm going to hang in there until the last minute.  i wish they had an online status checker like the graduate school does.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #825 on: March 23, 2006, 02:00:24 PM »

Thoughts?

Pointless.  Like I said, they're behind.

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 23, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »

Thoughts?

A lot of people (myself included) applied earlier than that and haven't heard anything. You're welcome to do whatever you want, but I don't think calling is going to speed things up.

JackBauer

« Reply #827 on: March 24, 2006, 06:09:17 AM »
Looking at LSN over the last few years, does anyone else notice that this year there seems to be an abnormally high number of people getting accepted to YLS and then withdrawing?  Last year no one who was accepted posted as having withdrawn, and this year already there are 6 who have.

I mean, all schools go through hot phases, and I wonder if people are becoming less mystified and more miffed with what seems to be Yale's holier-than-thou approach to apps.   

« Reply #828 on: March 24, 2006, 06:31:51 AM »
Looking at LSN over the last few years, does anyone else notice that this year there seems to be an abnormally high number of people getting accepted to YLS and then withdrawing?  Last year no one who was accepted posted as having withdrawn, and this year already there are 6 who have.

I mean, all schools go through hot phases, and I wonder if people are becoming less mystified and more miffed with what seems to be Yale's holier-than-thou approach to apps.   

I think it's more like this: People who are talking to a lot of admits are saying inaccurate and slanderous things about Yale, and our office is not doing enough to counteract that.  I mean, some HLS admit told me they heard Yale is "competitive" - that is absolutely riiiidiculous!!! :o Also, YLS has taken on some public activist battles with which some students maybe don't want to get involved.

Your question doesn't really make sense because if someone was already accepted, they shouldn't be bothered by this supposedly "holier-than-thou" (read: thorough, not just numbers-bound) approach to applications.  It's people who are still waiting who would justifiably be annoyed by the admissions process.  To those people, I've already told you that it's seriously not anything about your application or about the will of the Admissions staff that's making it really slow this year - it's unavoidable circumstances in the Admissions office.  So, please don't try to draw any conclusions about the status of your application yet.  The timing isn't indicative of anything.

But I do think Yale's 90% yield will be a bit lower this year and Harvard's 65-or-so% yield will be higher.  We hit an all-time high with our class. It's reasonable that it can't be that way every single year.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 24, 2006, 06:36:25 AM »
Yeah, the yield will probably be back down to its normal ~80%, and H might move up to around 70%.

EDIT: And 40-50 people, for whatever reason, turn down Yale each year.  As LSN becomes more popular, you will see that increasingly reflected.  Additionally, I know for a fact that some of those accounts are fake.