Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #470 on: February 13, 2006, 08:53:31 AM »
Ha, I wonder if this is the best place for this question...Batgirl may not like it so much here.

That said, here's my current thinking.  I am forgetting about H for the moment (since who knows?).  I am going to Yale unless I get the NYU Furman Scholarship.  Then, I'm not sure.

you didn't ask a question ;)

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 13, 2006, 08:54:21 AM »
Ha, I wonder if this is the best place for this question...Batgirl may not like it so much here.

That said, here's my current thinking.  I am forgetting about H for the moment (since who knows?).  I am going to Yale unless I get the NYU Furman Scholarship.  Then, I'm not sure.

you didn't ask a question ;)

I meant JG's

EDIT: I changed the post above to make it have some sense.

« Reply #472 on: February 13, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »
Too bad about the 9:10 class. How much snow did you guys get in New Haven?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 13, 2006, 09:01:02 AM »

hey Bass, so you're forgetting H for now? I think I may do the same. I'm still working on that essay though! :o Argh, I have to send it out asap  >:(

I'm not expecting anything from them, that's all.  I put together a  nice update package for them (significant updates in resume, why harvard, nice cover letter, 4.0 Fall semester), but I can make no sense of the hold process.  I'm going to stop worrying about it and just count it as a ding until/unless I hear otherwise.  It's not a big deal...I've gotten over the HLS obsession.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 13, 2006, 09:04:19 AM »

About a foot.  It was great ;D.  My first blizzard!  It set records all over the northeast (meaning it's not typical).  Of course, now everything is cleared away.  But they're having a snowball fight at 1 p.m. in the law school courtyard!

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2006, 09:05:43 AM »

About a foot.  It was great ;D.  My first blizzard!  It set records all over the northeast (meaning it's not typical).  Of course, now everything is cleared away.  But they're having a snowball fight at 1 p.m. in the law school courtyard!

Boo! I still had to go to my 8am class  >:(

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2006, 09:08:41 AM »
Lol.  I'm going to recommend to Dean Thompson that they limit all non-law-students to two drinks.  They probably won't go for it, though.  Law students have been complaining about the undergrads for years...but I think they basically fund the dining hall.

On another note, I also think we should prevent them from having class in our auditorium.  But I digress... ;)

Yeah, your dining hall would be bankrupt if not for us subsidizing it with the  $$$ we pay to Yale Dining Services.

It's funny that you mention the auditorium, because it sounds like you would have loved YLS last year.

Last year the YLS dining hall had a section cordoned off (the alcove-like area to the left when you enter) with couches and a sign that said LAW STUDENTS ONLY. In addition, the cashier lanes had a  big sign which said:

Law Students
-->
Undergrads
<--

to divide the lines. And then there was this cashier who was a b1tch and got a huge kick out of enforcing a (now cancelled) policy that prevented UGs from swiping for dinner at the law school cafeteria until 5.15, and also forbad UGs between 5.30 and 6.30 or something like that.

The evil cashier claimed that "their cards don't work until 5:15" but it was a human enforced system. She was visibly entertained by having a huge line of UGs and telling them to wait for an extra 2, 3, or 5 minutes. And I know the system was human and not computer enforced because one time the manager came by and told her to start swiping the cards and magically, they worked! That cashier is now out of here.

And Alci, have you noticed those black gates set into the wall at the end of the hallway leading from the front entrance to the auditorium? I've actually had guards close those gates to lock me in. You see, last year when Cold War was held in the SLB auditorium, someone at YLS came up with this policy of posting a sign at the front door saying "Undergrads must enter and exit from High St. entrance only" (a side door down the street, less than 1/4 of the size of the main entrance). An armed guard was posted to enforce the policy. And after the lecture, an armed guard closed the black gate to prevent undergrads from walking through the hallway and forced everyone to exit from the High St. entrance; it took 5-10 minutes for everyone to cram through those 2 little doors. And then someone at YLS had the idea to turn off the AC in the auditorium whenever it was used for Cold War (oh, the irony), causing us to roast. This continued until one John L. Gaddis lodged a loud complaint, and then the AC was restored. But the "undergrads enter high st. only" policy remained...seriously, it was like Jim Crow.

So, I was really fed up with YLS snobbery ("we're too good for the rest of Yale") and decided that I would not apply to YLS because I was unwilling to participate in such antics. However, this year, the Jim Crow entrance policy is gone, the black gate is retired, the evil dining hall cashier is gone, the "law students only" seating area is no longer restricted, and even the obnoxious dining transfer windows have been revoked. So, I changed my mind and I have applied.

However, I think you would have gotten a real kick out of seeing some of this stuff that happened in YLS last year.

(Incidentally, the John L. Gaddis mentioned above is the same professor who has stepped up in defense of Prof. Paul Kennedy, who allegedly ran over a student while driving with a suspended license last week.)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »
I still don't see how this snow is record breaking...back in 96 we had the most monstrous blizzard ever. We've definitely had more snow than this before... ???
I was wondering that too.

But then again, I was in Boston, where I'm pretty sure it wasn't even the largest snowstorm in the past 13 months.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
I'm from CT, and 1 ft wouldn't break any seasonal records.  That said, meteorologists love records like "That was record snowfall for February 12.  We haven't had that much snow on 2/12 since 1942."  Such a record is hardly surprising.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2006, 09:16:39 AM »
Stanford's beginning to sound better and better  :D