Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: Su Obsession
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2006, 07:51:49 AM »
by the way, clearly today is one of those days where you don't have much to do.  :D

Actually I'd say I've done more work than average today.

But less non-LSD web surfing.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 10, 2006, 07:59:48 AM »
what is HBCU?  and yeah, i'm pretty sure you won't have to deal with those comments.  i mean, come on.  :D

Historically Black College/University

And you would be surprised  :D

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »
for a second i thought HSBC, and i thought, wait, that's not right.  :D

okay, example?

It happened to me last summer while I was interning at a big Wall Street firm. I decided to have lunch with two of the other interns. One was from Texas and the other one was from New Jersey. So I told them I was from Trinidad and one of them said, "But you speak English so well!"  :D

I almost died. That's the first time I've ever heard that comment, but there've been lots of others like whether or not we have buildings  :-\

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2006, 08:12:22 AM »
ever look around and think, "i'm an admitted student at harvard law school.  i'm too good for this?" 

Not really, though I do think "I can't even do this job competantly.  Why on Earth did Harvard let me in?"

Though I admit that a lack of caring is really the primary impedement to my being competent at my job.  And my boss is under the impression that I do a good job, for whatever reason.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2006, 08:17:12 AM »
Not really, though I do think "I can't even do this job competantly.  Why on Earth did Harvard let me in?"

Though I admit that a lack of caring is really the primary impedement to my being competent at my job.  And my boss is under the impression that I do a good job, for whatever reason.

It's all about under-promising and out-performing  ;D

redemption

« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2006, 08:19:25 AM »
It happened to me last summer while I was interning at a big Wall Street firm. I decided to have lunch with two of the other interns. One was from Texas and the other one was from New Jersey. So I told them I was from Trinidad and one of them said, "But you speak English so well!"  :D

Hmm. I would have thought that the most common comment that you'd get is that you speak English well BECAUSE you're from Trinidad.. The implication being obvious. Guess not, though, huh?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 10, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »

:D  Yeah.  It really is.

I feel guilt, though.  My boss is really nice.  I just can't bring myself to care about most of my job though.  I keep thinking "I'm out of here in 5 months."

redemption

« Reply #377 on: February 10, 2006, 08:25:22 AM »

Hmm. I would have thought that the most common comment that you'd get is that you speak English well BECAUSE you're from Trinidad.. The implication being obvious. Guess not, though, huh?

i didn't get it...

I have a friend from Trinidad and he gets that comment a lot. The implication by the people who say this to him is that if he were Af Am he wouldn't have a wide vocab and that he'd garble his words (like aks). he can't decide whether to be amused or upset by this reaction. He is usually both.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2006, 08:28:18 AM »

i didn't get it...

:D  Yeah.  It really is.

I feel guilt, though.  My boss is really nice.  I just can't bring myself to care about most of my job though.  I keep thinking "I'm out of here in 5 months."

have you told them that you're leaving?

and has anyone noticed the change in the thread title?

No, and no.  Until just now.

Damn you Swats!

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »

i didn't get it...

Trinidad and Tobago was formerly a British colony.

But I think some people assume that we're a Spanish speaking country because we're so close to Venezuela...? That's the only thing I can think of.