Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2006, 06:28:28 AM »
Four out of 18 is over 20%.  Not a great chance, but not horrible either. And if there is any school where great writing plus an exceptional LSAT might outweigh a "low" UGPA doesn't Yale want to see itself as that school?
Actually, from the LSD discussions, that sounds liek Harvard. And Yale is the school where great writing plus an exceptional UGPA from anywhere might outweight a low LSAT>

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2006, 06:46:35 AM »
Four out of 18 is over 20%.  Not a great chance, but not horrible either. And if there is any school where great writing plus an exceptional LSAT might outweigh a "low" UGPA doesn't Yale want to see itself as that school?
Actually, from the LSD discussions, that sounds liek Harvard. And Yale is the school where great writing plus an exceptional UGPA from anywhere might outweight a low LSAT>

cosigned. see aluhmajuhba (or however you spell it).

« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:23 AM »

22% isn't bad at all, considering the school has an overall admit-rate of about 7%.  The rate's certainly not much higher for the 3.75+ 170-174 range.  (Is it any higher?  I can't remember.) *see disclaimer

Haven't seen your application materials, Redemption, but if you conveyed yourself half as well as on these boards, I suspect you're competitive.  Yale wants a certain kind of atmosphere.  They need the right numbers to balance out, because rankings matter on some levels, but ... IMHO they look for the right people.  Just reading a small portion of old posts around here, you stand out as intelligent, reasonable, confident, involved...probably a lot of other things.  Now, Yale won't get to read all the posts here.  From you, they just get a few short pieces of writing and some information about your extracurriculars.  They do, however, also get letters of recommendation, which can attest to some of those other strengths you obviously have.

Since we don't know the quirks of your random readers, ultimately it's impossible to predict your likelihood of admission (as with anybody), but...I'm pretty sure you'll at least get a read.  You have a chance.

Disclaimer:  We tend to think of Yale as comparing folks within their # range.  The odd thing about redemption's # combo is that few people apply.  Do the few who apply have extra-splendid ECs/hardships, or are most people just scared away?  (Or, of law applicants generally, how many have that kind of split?  I have no idea...)  Without info on non-numeric factors, the 22%'s mainly a meaningless distraction.  I do think, though, that Yale looks beyond GPA/LSAT (particularly when neither is actually bad).  I doubt they obsess over whether they admit more people w/<3.5 than they've done in the past three years, so long as their 25-75 range works out in the end.  (And do they ever provide a mean, or is it always just a median?)  Redemption has a great LSAT, the GPA isn't embarrassing, and the written parts probably stand out.

Apologies if nothing above makes sense.  Rushing off to class.

Yale College Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2006, 06:58:12 AM »

22% isn't bad at all, considering the school has an overall admit-rate of about 7%.  The rate's certainly not much higher for the 3.75+ 170-174 range.  (Is it any higher?  I can't remember.) *see disclaimer

For last year, 3.75+ 170-175 was 262/1231 accepted =  21%.
(I'm not sure why this is the group being compared to the 3.25-2.49 175+ group, but that's what was posted.)
This makes me question where the "four out of 18" figure came from though, because when I look at the stats for last year 3.25-3.49 and 175-180, I see 7/83 accepted, = ~8.5%.

Yale College Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2006, 06:59:53 AM »
Stanley, why did you use 'NHSoL" to replace "Yale"?

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2006, 07:21:29 AM »

For last year, 3.75+ 170-175 was 262/1231 accepted =  21%.
(I'm not sure why this is the group being compared to the 3.25-2.49 175+ group, but that's what was posted.)
This makes me question where the "four out of 18" figure came from though, because when I look at the stats for last year 3.25-3.49 and 175-180, I see 7/83 accepted, = ~8.5%.

Where are you seeing that 7/83? 
http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/lsac3987.pdf
Is that information old?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2006, 07:26:23 AM »
Where are you seeing that 7/83? 
http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/pdf/lsac3987.pdf
Is that information old?

Yale's site has the same grid but over a span of three years (03-05).

So aparently whatever year LSAC uses (04?  I think?) had 4 of the 7 people in that number category admitted in the past three years.  It's such a small group that I guess it's no suprise it would vary so much from year to year.  Other boxes stay fairly consistant in % admitted.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:29 AM »
No new accepts, no legit dings... no movement at all.

Sigh.

When, Yale, When?!?!?

B.K.

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »

Sigh.

When, Yale, When?!?!?

I feel ya Su!!!

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2006, 09:41:16 AM »

Sigh.

When, Yale, When?!?!?

Right now, no news is good news...