Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2006, 05:29:39 PM »
I have to admit that reading this thread has been really intersting for me. A very close friend of mine has two friends who went to Yale for law school. She said that both of them hated it and couldn't wait to graduate. Another friend (who doesn't know my other friend) has a few friends there now and told me that, "Yale is not a happy place."

Do I just happen to be friends with the friends of the few unhappy Yale Law students? Is everyone here really just hearing great and wonderful things about Yale?

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2006, 06:47:52 PM »
All years. Two of the people in question have graduated. One last year and one the year before (I think). The ones who are currently there are most likely all 1Ls, but there may be some 2Ls as well.

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2006, 07:03:40 PM »
I really would be interested to hear if anyone else has ever heard from Yale folks who didn't like it. For the two friends of my friend who already graduated, I gather that they just didn't like the other students much. I don't think that either of them had many friends (other than each other) in the law school. They had a bunch outside of it, though. For the ones who are current students, I don't really know much other than they just aren't happy.

It just seems so odd to me that I appear to be the only person who has only ever heard bad things about Yale (the enviornment, not the quality of the education or its reputation). I'm not ruling out the possiblity that I'm just an anomily.

dw05

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this counts, but I did know (though not particularly well) one or two Yale Law students who I found to be pretty darn annoying and a bit socially strange, but I would expect there to be some people like that just about anywhere you go.  On the other hand, I know a few current students who I think are genuinely incredible people, both intellectually and interpersonally, so I doubt it's all bad.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2006, 10:47:45 PM »
I personally do not know of anyone who is unhappy at YLS.  To the contrary, I think most people (myself included) are quite happy or are at least as happy as they would be in law school anywhere.  I do know people who don't like the study of law...but even they say that Yale is the best place to do it.

But, of course, birds of a feather flock together.  There might be some pocket of dissatisfaction of which I am totally unaware.  General law school advice: You should definitely talk to people with whom you "click" and find out if they like the place.  I am an ISTJ in the Myers-Briggs typeology.  I am affected by things and handle situations much differently than, say, an ENFP.

I think most people like YLS.  However, there are reasons not to.  If you are friends with people very similar to you and they don't like YLS, then you should engage in some self-assessment before coming.

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
Re: NHSoL Obsession
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2006, 10:59:03 PM »
perhaps notfamous is the tobster in disguise, trying to wean people away...  ;)

If Yale continues to not admit people for the next few weeks like they have been doing it won't take all that much weaning.....

« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2006, 04:58:42 AM »
perhaps notfamous is the tobster in disguise, trying to wean people away...  ;)

If <NHSoL> continues to not admit people for the next few weeks like they have been doing it won't take all that much weaning.....

maybe for most.  i think the hard core obsessors (ahem, su) will still need convincing.  :D

it seems to me that the reason we all haven't heard for so long is because the faculty are probably in the middle of doing their reviews.  and we all know how professors like to take their sweet sweet time with things like this (*cough* recommendations *cough*).

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2006, 07:32:40 AM »
it seems to me that the reason we all haven't heard for so long is because the faculty are probably in the middle of doing their reviews.  and we all know how professors like to take their sweet sweet time with things like this (*cough* recommendations *cough*).

Yeah, I'm sure.  It looks like it'll be coming in small waves every couple of weeks starting with next week.

But then again, after next week thin envelopes may have prevented some obsessing.

Seriously, after they reject me, if I post on this thread, please remind me to get a life.

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2006, 07:57:11 AM »
I really would be interested to hear if anyone else has ever heard from Yale folks who didn't like it. For the two friends of my friend who already graduated, I gather that they just didn't like the other students much. I don't think that either of them had many friends (other than each other) in the law school. They had a bunch outside of it, though. For the ones who are current students, I don't really know much other than they just aren't happy.

It just seems so odd to me that I appear to be the only person who has only ever heard bad things about Yale (the enviornment, not the quality of the education or its reputation). I'm not ruling out the possiblity that I'm just an anomily.

I'm sure it's an incredibly self-selecting population, but I found some reviews online that may very well have been bogus, but all three reviewers talked about how they hated all the theory, they weren't learning anything of use in the "real" legal world, they were sick of the philosophy, etc., and for the most part that seems accurate, it just happens to be what I *love* about the way Yale does things, so I'm sure there are people there that are business-economics minded types, that aren't theoretically oriented that went there because it was ranked higher than Harvard, and probably do hate it.

JSIA.

:)

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2006, 10:46:52 AM »

I'm sure it's an incredibly self-selecting population, but I found some reviews online that may very well have been bogus, but all three reviewers talked about how they hated all the theory, they weren't learning anything of use in the "real" legal world, they were sick of the philosophy, etc., and for the most part that seems accurate, it just happens to be what I *love* about the way Yale does things, so I'm sure there are people there that are business-economics minded types, that aren't theoretically oriented that went there because it was ranked higher than Harvard, and probably do hate it.

JSIA.

:)

I think the problem is people go into law school with all these misguided ideas of what it's like and without having done any research. The general rule of thumb is that the higher you go up in rankings, the more philosophy and theory it is. If you want a practical, black letter law education, you go to a lower ranked school. LS is no longer a trade school education - that's just how it is.

I haven't heard of any other people at YLS that don't like it...maybe if you're more interested in corporate law or right-leaning on the political spectrum though.

Most schools, however much they try to market themselves as public interest havens, end up sending the majority of their students into corporate law.  Yale has a smaller percentage than most, but it doesn't mean that if you want to do corporate you'll be a social outcast.  Also, most law schools are very left-leaning, so Yale isn't exactly special in this regard. It's more an issue that due to it's size, it'll be harder to find a critical mass of people who share your political viewpoints. Of course, to get to LS you have to go through college, and there's only a handful of colleges in the country which aren't left-leaning, so it's not like these people aren't used to it by now.