Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

A.

• View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
Hm, 0/10 seems questionable.  That would be about 1/4 of those who chose not to attend.  If true, that would be a prime area for the admissions people to focus on.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2006, 10:44:43 PM »
I was amazed that someone from my UG made it into Yale, since no one was at Harvard :(

snikrep

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 12:35:19 AM »
hey guys; i've been slacking on the posts. To all the Yale hopefuls, I thought this website might interest you

http://www.yale.edu/bulletin/html/law/students.html

Its gives a list of schools represented in the class and how many.

It also has some course info, tuition, etc.

Anybody else not have anybody admitted from their entire STATE!?!  I checked every school I can think of, nothing, nada, zip.

It says that a couple came from this state, but I can't find any from our schools - not surprised, just wish I knew this information 4 or 5 years ago.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2006, 07:36:05 AM »
Hm, 0/10 seems questionable.  That would be about 1/4 of those who chose not to attend.  If true, that would be a prime area for the admissions people to focus on.

That's what I thought.  I'm wondering if some deferred, since I'm not sure how that'd show up on the reports (and since we don't generally make appointments with her once we get accepted). 

Although if they're applying for joint JD/MBAs, turning down YLS makes a great deal of sense.  Yale's an excellent school, just not so much in the business department.

But would all 10 do this?  Is Penn some sort of pre-JD/MBA-producing factory?

fatcat

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2006, 07:45:36 AM »
how is deep springs college on that list?  i thought it was a 2-year college that fed its grads into good 4-year programs.  that is, if it's the one i'm thinking of (all dudes, they live on a ranch, etc.)...

yeah i'm surprised by that too. i suppose it's possible they admitted someone straight out from deep springs without requiring that they attend another undergrad institution first, or i suppose it's possible that they wanted to list it there just to increase their list of represented undergraduate institutions. :-) in which case, maybe some of those institutions are represented on the list even though the person who attended them transferred and graduated from a different institution? or maybe just with the special case of deep springs, yls wanted to make sure they included them on the list.

fatcat

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2006, 07:48:08 AM »
Isn't Harvard College a good bit larger than Yale College?

And Williams is a small, elite liberal arts college in MA.  On par with Amherst, Swarthmore, etc.

As I recall, HC has 6600 undergrads and YC has 5300. but i could be remembering wrong. so yah, harvard is significantly bigger.

badmammajamma

• I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2006, 07:52:59 AM »

Anybody else not have anybody admitted from their entire STATE!?!  I checked every school I can think of, nothing, nada, zip.

It says that a couple came from this state, but I can't find any from our schools - not surprised, just wish I knew this information 4 or 5 years ago.

None from my state, Idaho. None ever from my UG--but it's fairly new.

tanner9585

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2006, 08:01:45 AM »

If they came from your state, I'm guessing this means they were born there and went to UG somewhere else, but still have residency there.  In OK, for instance, there is 1 person from OU and 1 person from University of Tulsa, but 6 from the state, meaning that 6 total OK residents are going to Yale.  Whether or not the people coming from the state's schools are even residents of that state is unknown, you could conceivably have 5 people from OU with 0 people from Oklahoma.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2006, 08:55:42 AM »
I just find that to be very odd.  Why more Wharton people than SAS people?  And even a minimal amount of research would reveal Yale's grading policy.

Anyway, it's all idle speculation.  Come to Yale and convince future Pennies (?) to come also!

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2006, 09:26:59 AM »
2 Nevadans!  Woo-hoo!!!   ;D ;D

No one from my UG.  Not suprising...