Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #1580 on: February 02, 2009, 03:14:13 AM »
Oh, I didn't mean to come across defensively  :o.  I only meant to say that while conventional wisdom generally seems to dictate that numbers are such a significant factor, I really think that it's very different with Yale's 'auto-admit' process.  As opposed to schools that nominally 'take a holistic tract,' but really just focus on numbers, Yale's whole auto-admit thing really seems to be genuinely not numbers based in any really compelling way (outside of having numbers that fall somewhere above their 25%).  Sorry if I came across as confrontational or anything like that--if I did, it was totally unintentional.

heron

« Reply #1581 on: February 02, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
OK. I'll admit that I am obsessed with this thread. I check it regularly for news that non-autoamits have been accepted. I have heard from everywhere else, and I am still hoping for got news from Yale. I hope to hear, either way, very soon ...

« Reply #1582 on: February 02, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »
Why does this Yale obsession continue to dominate the minds of 0L's?  There's always this idea that we're going to do great at whatever law school we get into.  However, people tend to lose the idea that 50% of us are going to finish in the bottom 50th of our class - and 5% will finish in the bottom 5th.  We need to stop kidding ourselves that we'll do so great.

So why is that relevant?  Well, imagine doing horribly at Yale and reporting to future employers, your terrible grades.  Not very marketable.  Well, if you travel all the way across the country to fair badly at YLS, the job market will prove to be difficult to get you back to Seattle or whatever city you call home. 

Thus, this Yale obsession is unhealthy.  TCR will always be, know where you want to practice, and attend the best school in that area in order to hedge your bet.  Want to work in Seattle, got to the University of Washington.

But please, let's stop pretending Yale really means something.

« Reply #1583 on: February 03, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »
Thanks a ton, cool beans. You have given us, in a nutshell, precisely the reason so many people want to go to Yale (in addition to the beautiful campus, small classes, amazing professors, etc): the combination of pass/fail grading, a small student body, extremely selective admissions, and an outstanding reputation means that--more so than anywhere else in the country--your job prospects don't depend on doing extraordinarly well while in law school. I would be terrified to graduate in the bottom third at Cornell, but I'd happily take bottom third at Yale (except I don't think they even rank). Obviously the people who want the best clerkships are going to need more "high passes", but again, less so than at any other law school.

Sorry that some of us are pretty anxious over whether or not we get into one of the nation's finest law schools - I guess we can't all be as satisfied with mediocrity as you are.

Pity--and you were doing so well, too.

« Reply #1584 on: February 03, 2009, 10:09:03 AM »
So I applied to Yale quite some time ago.  My numbers aren't great, but I don't think they're so bad I shouldn't get in.  I think I have good soft factors, I ran a little business internationally and wrote my PS about a night of blueskies.  It's pretty artsy.

Anyways, it's been quite a while and I haven't heard anything back.  I was going to send a LOCI.  Also, I was thinking of "accidentally" being in the area and then stopping in the admissions office to say 'hi' and then inquire about my applications status.  I just feel that I should get some answers because I can't live like a nervous wreck anymore.  Maybe I should send an e-mail asking if there's been a decision and what it is?  I need proactive advice.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 03, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
Anyways, it's been quite a while and I haven't heard anything back.  I was going to send a LOCI.  Also, I was thinking of "accidentally" being in the area and then stopping in the admissions office to say 'hi' and then inquire about my applications status.  I just feel that I should get some answers because I can't live like a nervous wreck anymore.  Maybe I should send an e-mail asking if there's been a decision and what it is?  I need proactive advice.

Pointless.  Proactive advice?  Have a drink.  Preferably scotch.

« Reply #1586 on: February 03, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »

Don't stress - as Asha (the head of admissions here at YLS) has said time and again, the unique application review process (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2007/11/08/the-secret.aspx) means that it will often take longer to hear back from Yale; **many** decisions aren't made till February, March, or April.

In other words, no worries that you haven't heard back yet...they know you're still interested! If you happen to be in New Haven, you'd certainly be welcome to take a student-led tour (1pm on most Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays - but call ahead to confirm!), but trust me - if they have made a decision, they'll let you know (usually by phone unless you're out of phone contact, like, in Africa or something) as soon as possible! It's not like the admissions staff just sits on decisions b/c they like to see people squirm...instead, they're waiting for faculty reviewers to carefully complete the steps of the process. [Asking for a decision won't make one come more quickly...in fact, it's just a (sorry to be blunt) waste of the staff's time.]

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 18, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »