Law School Discussion

Yale Obsession

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Yale Obsession
« on: January 10, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
It makes me feel like kind of a whiney jerk/looser, but I can't help obsessing over Yale's admissions process.  Anyone care to join me?

For example, did anyone else notice that most people who applied by the end of October last year generally got accepted by the end of January, rejected at the end of January/beginning of February, or waitlisted in April?

corky

• View Profile
Re: Yale Obsession
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:08:52 PM »
I'm definitely joining you in the obsessing-over-Yale thread. I made myself stop checking LSN because the numbers of the people who've been accepted so far are so high. I'm hoping if they reject me they do it at the end of January so I know where I'm going and don't have to worry about it anymore.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »
i'll join you as well, su.  what's even sadder is that, because i submitted so late, i have to wait till march or april....yet i'm still being as obsessive as anybody else.  god, march or april?? that is so freaking long...

elc

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:42:13 PM »
i'm with you, chombi.  i'm not complete yet, but already obsessing over it.

i have a sort of stupid question about the review process:  do the faculty reviewers get our entire applications, or does the whole packet get you to through faculty review at which point they just read the 250-word essay?  (...if that makes sense.) 

my 250 was not all that great, which is making me extra anxious now.

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 03:47:18 PM »

i have a sort of stupid question about the review process:  do the faculty reviewers get our entire applications, or does the whole packet get you to through faculty review at which point they just read the 250-word essay?  (...if that makes sense.) 

the way i understand it, your file is assigned to three random faculty members.  they rate your file between 1 and 4.  12s are admitted and so are most 11s.

pass36

• But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 04:35:31 PM »
Well, this is sort of off topic, but it is about Yale at least ....

First LSDAS report sent to Yale 12/07, report with final LOR sent 12/16.  Check for application fee sent with signature page 12/04. 

Today, paying bills, notice check to Yale (unlike other schools) has not been cashed.  Have heard nothing from Yale, but haven't really expected to, others on LSN who sent app about the same time aren't reporting complete either.  But strange they are the only ones who haven't cashed the check.  Obviously they don't need the money as bad as some!  Anyone else with similar dates? Or, more worrying, anyone have their checks cashed right away?

Maybe this is their way of saying "keep your money, don't call us, we won't call you...."

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »

They read the whole thing, in whatever order they wish.

dw05

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 07:45:41 PM »
I feel your pain, Su et al.  Over the course of the admissions season, I have developed a serious love/ hate relationship with YLS.  I'm not sure whether I'd prefer a quick and thus relatively less painful rejection or a more drawn-out process which will allow me to delude myself into believing they at least considered me seriously for a second or two.  O, the games yale plays with my heart...   

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »
I'm glad I'm not alone.   :-\

Oh, Yale, why do you torment us so?

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 10:05:28 PM »
i will join this thread, though i have to say that the nyu acceptance has taken much of the edge off.   :)

As obsessed as I am with Yale, I think I am more obsessed with finding out what your numbers are!  :'(