Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UIUC ($) or Cardozo  (Read 645 times)

tabularasa

• View Profile
UIUC ($) or Cardozo
« on: January 09, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »
Got into UIUC today 10K/year scholarship.  I also have been accepted to Cardozo.  I live in NYC, and I would ideally like to work here.  However, would I be a fool to pass up UIUC for Cardozo?  Is the moderate prestige and regional pull of Illinois significantly better if I want to work in NYC anyway?  I appreciate any input.  Thanks.

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UIUC ($) or Cardozo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
I've been considering UIUC too. I am curious to know exactly how much prestige it has...
Boalt 1L

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:18:22 PM »
Cardozo for NYC

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

ljl3y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:29:21 AM »
bump. 

I'm in the same situation, though I also have acceptance to W&L which may have a little better pull in NYC than UIUC.  I'd like to come back to NYC when law school is over, and I was hoping to leave for the years I was in law school.  But now, considering, it does seem as though it might be a good idea to go ahead and go to school here, better internship possibilities, etc...

anyone have more thoughts?
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)
OUT:Chicago, NYU, Columbia
WL: Michigan, Emory, Fordham FT, W&M, UT Austin, Vandy

bobcat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:09:12 PM »
Take a look at UIUC's placement numbers.  Realistically, you'd probably have to either be near the top of your class (not easy at a school like UIUC), or have a lot of connections in NYC, or do a lot of extra legwork, to find a good job in New York. If you're sure that you want to live in New York, Cardozo is probably the wise choice.  Of course, if you're not sure you want to live in NYC when you're done, I'd consider UIUC more carefully.  I bet that Illinois places better in, say, Washington DC or California, than Cardozo, simply because of its prestige.  And it will give you an inside track to Chicago jobs.  And it's probably more portable than a Cardozo degree.
Accepted: Arizona State, DePaul ($$), Illinois ($$), Indiana-Bloomington, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Arizona
Rejected: Utah

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bdoxey

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 01:15:22 AM »
I have been accepted to UIUC with 10k, Cardozo with 25k, and Iowa with 14k.  I live in NYC, but don't know where to practice yet.  Maybe New England?  Definitely not huge cities like NYC, which drives me mad.  But if I go to Cardozo, I can live at home and save tons of money, not to mention Cardozo is already offering an attractive financial package. 
I am leaning towards Iowa right now, because it is highest ranked, and also much cheaper to attend than UIUC, due to larger scholarship and cheaper tuition.  The problem is, I don't want to live and practice forever in Iowa. 

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »
I am in a similar situation with some schools because UIUC gave me some money as well. I got a phone call from a 1L there and she was very convincing. I am thinking about calling these schools and asking if they have any alumni meetings in my area. For example, one of the schools that I am considering is going to have one here in Southern California. I was thinking of going and talking to them about the school's network.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

TFarris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 03:27:38 PM »
Dude.  None of you should go to Cardozo.  Going there with any kind of debt at all is kind of like asking for a beating.

Got into UIUC today 10K/year scholarship.  I also have been accepted to Cardozo.  I live in NYC, and I would ideally like to work here.  However, would I be a fool to pass up UIUC for Cardozo?  Is the moderate prestige and regional pull of Illinois significantly better if I want to work in NYC anyway?  I appreciate any input.  Thanks.

You would in fact be a fool.

If you want NYC, you should have gotten into a T14 school, or maybe Fordham if you like risks.  If you want to work in NYC from a T2, well, why not just go there now and be a paralegal?  Going to the T2 could produce the same outcome if you're not in the top 20%.  For further reading, see Tom the Temp's blog or jdjive.com.

Besides, your debt load at Illinois with 10k/year will probably be about half of what it would be at Cardozo with no money.

Top 10% at UIUC can get biglaw jobs in NYC if you seek them out.  As far as I can tell, only the top 10% at Cardozo can as well.

If you don't make it up to the top of your class at Illinois, you won't make it back to NYC.  You also won't be chronically underemployed with 160k in debt.  Your choice.

I have been accepted to UIUC with 10k, Cardozo with 25k, and Iowa with 14k.  I live in NYC, but don't know where to practice yet.  Maybe New England?  Definitely not huge cities like NYC, which drives me mad.  But if I go to Cardozo, I can live at home and save tons of money, not to mention Cardozo is already offering an attractive financial package. 
I am leaning towards Iowa right now, because it is highest ranked, and also much cheaper to attend than UIUC, due to larger scholarship and cheaper tuition.  The problem is, I don't want to live and practice forever in Iowa. 

You shouldn't go to Cardozo because you don't want to practice in NYC.  Cardozo grads, if they get jobs at all, are confined to NYC.  Simple as that.

You can get good jobs from Iowa within Iowa and in cities near Iowa--Kansas City, Chicago (if top quarter), Minneapolis.  Iowa City is a beautiful college town.  Rent is very cheap, and you won't have to live with your parents.  You'll probably love it if you visit.  If you really want to work in Chicago, though, Illinois is a great choice and worth the cash.

ordinary_people

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:40:31 PM »
i have a similar situation with w&l - wisc - illinois.  i'm from providence and want to practice in new england after school, but wouldn't mind leaving the area for school.  would any of these three limit me in that area?  i'm not looking for big law following school.  i have also been accepted to brooklyn & cardozo.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:46:39 PM »
i have a similar situation with w&l - wisc - illinois.  i'm from providence and want to practice in new england after school, but wouldn't mind leaving the area for school.  would any of these three limit me in that area?  i'm not looking for big law following school.  i have also been accepted to brooklyn & cardozo.

You really should have applied to BU/BC for New England jobs.  But maybe W&L would do for now.