Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soft Intellectual Property & Joint Degree  (Read 256 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Soft Intellectual Property & Joint Degree
« on: January 08, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
I'm interested in going into soft IP stuff like internet stuff and copyright issues that don't involve the harder patenting stuff, as I don't have an engineering or science-y undergrad degree. Is this going to be possible/likely at all without such a background? And what effect would getting Michigan's MS in Information (supposedly based mostly on IP type stuff) have on chances in that area?

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Intellectual Property & Joint Degree
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 02:07:36 PM »
I'm hoping to do something similar to this, myself. In my case, I have a bit of a technical background: I work in IT and do helpdesk and network security for a living, but I'm not technical enough for the patent bar. My degree is in political science and I have more internet experience than most people.

In fact, my joke in college was that I was going to go to law school and be a net cop. That was ten years ago.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Intellectual Property & Joint Degree
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 02:13:33 PM »
Oh, good. I think issues of ownership are interesting, philosophically, and that's my background. Any info on how much getting the MSI would help? It would look cool to have another graduate degree, and postpone the real world another year, I think. :)

Netcop: Hehe.